Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Looking for Winter Tire Suggestions...

Old 11-09-2007, 11:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will these fit?

Will a P265/70R17 tire fit on the stock 17 inch Rubicon rims??
Old 11-10-2007, 03:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by coltc2000
all the m55 we get in the us are pinned for studs.I think your tire shop is not all that great or something is up.because the description says "pinned for studs" and I have yet to see a single m55 that was not. the must not know what to look for.
I just got a reply from the Toyo Canadian rep. It appears the US models are pinned, while the Canadian ones are not. They're only marked where the dealer must drill them. Out west this might not be a big deal, but the dealers here have no clue.

js.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:11 AM
Zee
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jsmoriss
They were shipped from out west, so I had to wait. Funny thing is, my retailer just called this morning and said they got the tires - only problem is they're not pinned for studs! The retailer has to drill the tire themselves, and they don't want to do this. I was prepared to sipe them manually, but not drill and stud them myself! :-)

So now I don't know... I really wanted a studable tire...

js.
That sucks! Too bad they didn't give you the right info to start with.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:30 PM
JK Freak

Anyone know of a 35' tire for 17's that are winter compliant?
Old 11-16-2007, 08:01 PM
Zee
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Rugbyduck
Anyone know of a 35' tire for 17's that are winter compliant?
Pro Comp All Terrain... 35x12.5-17

procomptires.com/allterrain.html

They are severe weather rated....

Those are the only severe weather I know of.

Anything M+S that will take studs if you are running them for winter only should be ok.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Had the Jeep out tonite in the snow for some TESTING of the new Toyo MTs. I'm comparing them to my brand new set of BFG AT's (31X10.5) on my Xterra....first off, the handling of the jeep with ESP is sooo much better.....Around corners I was doing donuts with the Xterra and not with the Jeep (til I turned off ESP for some fun).... I must say the tires did pretty darn good....snow is on the ground and its slippery - I do however think that the stopping power is not as good, but the Jeep is heavier than the Xterra and it was the first snowfall, so I'm not used to it yet....not much of a comparison I know, but its what I found. If in deep snow or nastier weather and they do not perform - then I will switch out.......or get'em sipped.

Never been to Renfrew, but I do like the guys with my experience at BIG4......

Oh, the Xterra is a little light in the back side (my wife has smushed it twice...shoulda got the Arb on that Nissan after the first smack).....we'll see how she does with the Jeep - although the ARB bumper is going on just after Christmas so if she hits stuff she can bounce off or drive over the obstacle....whatever or whoever that may be...

Last edited by JEEPJK; 11-20-2007 at 10:33 PM.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:15 AM
JK Super Freak

JEEPJK,

Thanks for the info on the Toyo MTs. That's what I have on there now, and it just started snowing yesterday (haven't been out with 'em yet). I expect to drive down to the US in the next week or so to pickup my winter tires. I would have bought locally, but the Toyo M-55s are not pinned for studs in Canada, only in the US. So I bought some US tires and had 'em shipped to Freeport Forwarding in Rouses Point NY - a 45-60 min drive from Montreal.

Go figure why Toyo would market 2 different tires with the same model name...

js.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Default An update on the Toyo M-55s...

I gotta get some pics on the week-end, but wanted to post my opinion of the Toyo M-55s sooner rather than later...

First off, these are the US model (made in Japan) Toyo M-55s in an LT285/75R16 size, mounted on American Racing Mojave Teflon 16x8 wheels. The tires are pined for studs - the Canadian M-55s are not. I bought a heated knife on eBay and cut 6 sipes per inner lug.

Coming out of a side road, I had to punch the gas a bit to cross the main road quickly -- the ground was wet and slushy. The M-55s cut through like there was nothing there and the tires squawked as they grabbed pavement. I also did some country roads that were caked with snow. The M-55s cleaned out really well and traction was excellent. On dry roads and highway, the M-55s also handle better than the Toyo M/Ts. Coming to a stop, you don't get the sound/feel of the lugs like the M/Ts. I also had the tires studded with #15 studs. From inside the Jeep, you can't hear 'em. A pedestrian might notice a click-click sound when coming to a stop, but you can't hear it from inside.

The _only_ drawback I can find is the highway noise. They're noisier than the Toyo M/Ts. It's kinda like the tire whine from an 18 wheeler. It's not unpleasant, and in fact, I kinda liked it after a while. It makes you feel like you're a freight train going down the highway or something. :-) Although after a while you get used to it, and don't notice it anymore.

The reasons for picking this tire were all about handling, and less about noise and price. The M-55s certainly met and exceeded my expectations. If you're looking for a tough 10-ply off-road tire for winter, I definately recommend the Toyo M-55s (the US model, not the Canadian one).

js.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Snow traction is tricky because different needs arise when comparing deep snow driving to packed snow/ice driving. Most mud tires with big lug voids will do good in deep snow, but if they are not siped, they will typically do poor in packed snow/ice. Also, the rubber compound can make a difference. Soft rubber combined with heavily siped is usually the ticket for packed snow/ice. I've heard a lot of good things about the SSRs in both conditions. One review called it the best all around snow tire they had ever tested. Drawbacks to that tire is they're expensive, heavy, and the treadwear is relatively short.

Edit - sorry, didn't realize you had decided on the Toyos. Sounds like they are working well for you!

Last edited by cab76; 12-20-2007 at 10:06 AM.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by DirkDigler
Check these guys out. They have a new concept in winter tire technology and with recent expereince with them, they truly are the best snow and ice tire on earth. They are somewhat limited in size but the Geolander tread is very aggressive. Very different!

www.greendiamondtire.com
People I know who tried the green diamond tires were very disappointed, the treads delaminated.

They are just re-treads with some traction compound added to the mix....which works fine, except that for all their claims of modern re-treading excelence, still peel off just like the re-treads do from all of the trucks running up and down the freeways, leaving big 'ol hunks of re-tread all over the place.

So - from what me and the people I wheel with found, green diamonds are garbage....lots of hype, lots of promises, but garbage.

Quick Reply: Looking for Winter Tire Suggestions...