Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Looking for Winter Tire Suggestions...

Old 10-26-2007, 12:48 PM
Zee
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ordered 5 Pro Comp M/T studdable tires 285/75R16 from carmodifier.com for $902CDN, Shipping and taxes in!
Old 10-26-2007, 12:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Check these guys out. They have a new concept in winter tire technology and with recent expereince with them, they truly are the best snow and ice tire on earth. They are somewhat limited in size but the Geolander tread is very aggressive. Very different!

www.greendiamondtire.com
Old 10-26-2007, 01:00 PM
Zee
JK Freak

I looked at those, shipping to Canada was way too expensive.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:48 AM
Zee
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jsmoriss
I sent an e-mail to Toyo Canada asking about the M55s and actually got a reply! I thought I'd post it for others who might be considering the M55s...

"The M55 is the most popular commercial-use winter tire in Western Canada.
Many dealers sipe and stud the M55 for additional traction.
The tire is M&S rated so the compound does stay reasonably soft in winter
conditions.
Depending on the off-road conditions either the Open Country G02+ or the M55
would be good choices.
The M55 is more durable in heavy load more severe off-road applications
while the G02+ is better on ice and wet/dry roads with minimal off-road use.
Talk to an experienced dealer that has sold both tires to ask their opinion
about your specific application success stories.
The M55 has had tremendous success in the oil field and logging applications
as well as RV applications that require off-road durability."

I just placed an order for some studded M55s and will sipe them myself.

js.

My reply from Toyo was different....

Sent: Friday, October 26, 2007 12:30 PM
Subject: RE: General Inquiry From the Web

We do not sell a studdable version of the M55 in Canada. They are an aggressive tire for deep snow but for all round winter traction you are much better going with the Open Country G-02 plus. The tread compounds are better designed to handle cold temperatures and slick roads. Off road use, the M55 is your tire.

Sincerely,
Ron Golab.

Toyo Tire Canada Inc.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Zee
My reply from Toyo was different....

Sent: Friday, October 26, 2007 12:30 PM
Subject: RE: General Inquiry From the Web

We do not sell a studdable version of the M55 in Canada. They are an aggressive tire for deep snow but for all round winter traction you are much better going with the Open Country G-02 plus. The tread compounds are better designed to handle cold temperatures and slick roads. Off road use, the M55 is your tire.

Sincerely,
Ron Golab.

Toyo Tire Canada Inc.
Indeed. Very odd. My research tells me there is only one model of M55, and it's pinned for studs. Nowhere did I see a non-pinned version.

What makes the Go2+ better for cold wet & dry pavement is probably a softer compound, more siping, and less aggressive thread. More rubber on the road means more traction.

The M55 is M&S rated and should have an 'acceptably' soft compound in winter, especially after they've warmed up a bit. I _will_ have to be concious of this when getting to the first stop sign / red light though. :-)

From the research I've done, the M55 studded and siped is good if you expect a good mix of wet, dry, ice, and snow. If you expect more wet & dry conditions, then the Go2+ is probably better. If you're going off-road in the winter, then no question the M55 is better.

One of the turn-offs for me was that the Go2+ is unidirectional. I like my 5 tire rotation. :-) I think the main reason for unidirectional tires is to reduce road noise. That's really not a priority for me. In fact, I'm a lot more worried about ice and deep snow. :-)

js.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:07 AM
Zee
JK Freak

Indeed. Very odd. My research tells me there is only one model of M55, and it's pinned for studs. Nowhere did I see a non-pinned version.

What makes the Go2+ better for cold wet & dry pavement is probably a softer compound, more siping, and less aggressive thread. More rubber on the road means more traction.

The M55 is M&S rated and should have an 'acceptably' soft compound in winter, especially after they've warmed up a bit. I _will_ have to be concious of this when getting to the first stop sign / red light though. :-)

From the research I've done, the M55 studded and siped is good if you expect a good mix of wet, dry, ice, and snow. If you expect more wet & dry conditions, then the Go2+ is probably better. If you're going off-road in the winter, then no question the M55 is better.

One of the turn-offs for me was that the Go2+ is unidirectional. I like my 5 tire rotation. :-) I think the main reason for unidirectional tires is to reduce road noise. That's really not a priority for me. In fact, I'm a lot more worried about ice and deep snow. :-)

js.
The G-02 is a non option for me. I don't think they realize that our jeeps DO go off road. You should double check with the dealer to make sure yours are studdable. Current gen winter tires are great on plowed roads, but those millions of sipes fill up with snow in the deep stuff and you can sit there spin all four wheels and not go anywhere.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:01 PM
Zee
JK Freak

js.
Did you get the M55's yet?

Curious to see how you like them so far.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Zee
Did you get the M55's yet?

Curious to see how you like them so far.
They were shipped from out west, so I had to wait. Funny thing is, my retailer just called this morning and said they got the tires - only problem is they're not pinned for studs! The retailer has to drill the tire themselves, and they don't want to do this. I was prepared to sipe them manually, but not drill and stud them myself! :-)

So now I don't know... I really wanted a studable tire...

js.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:08 PM
JK Freak

all the m55 we get in the us are pinned for studs.I think your tire shop is not all that great or something is up.because the description says "pinned for studs" and I have yet to see a single m55 that was not. the must not know what to look for.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:13 PM
JK Freak

Hi everyone,

I've been searching, comparing, thinking and pondering, but can't seem to find the winter tire I'm looking for. Is anyone running a large winter tire they would recommend? Here's what I'm looking for....

An LT285/75R16 winter tire that's NOT unidirectional, has a good sidewall, is fair-good in mud, good-excellent on dry and wet pavement (so lots of sipping and medium-soft rubber), and if it can be studded, well, that would be a bonus.

Does such a tire exist?

So far I have the following on my list, though none has all the features I'm looking for....

- Toyo Open Country G-O2 Plus; winter tire, but unidirectional
- Toyo Open Country A/T; average at everything?
- Toyo M-55 Studded & Sipped; long wearing, so rubber might be hard in winter?
- BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/AŽ KO (10/E not 8/D)
- Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO with UNI-T AQ II

js.
BFG All-Terrain, they work great on our Grand Cherokee.

Quick Reply: Looking for Winter Tire Suggestions...