Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Looking for suggestions and guidance on path to building up my Jeep

Old 08-20-2013, 05:30 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for suggestions and guidance on path to building up my Jeep

I've got a 2012 two door JK, six speed manual, evo skid plate package that protects the oil pan, transmission and rear drive shaft, Goodyear Duratrac's 285/70/17's, Ace rock sliders, Ace rear bumper/tire carrier, Ace front mid width bumper going in next Wednesday and I have a pair of differential covers on the way...

The obvious choice is a winch, my new front bumper is definitely setup for it but although I love being self sufficient, but in reality I don't go wheeling solo, I go with a great group of folks from the local 4x4 club and on any given day/trail ride there's always a couple people with winches and even a welder or two!

A hilift jack is a no brainer, didn't get one sooner as it wouldn't be of much use with just the stock bumpers.

The big thing is drivetrain, I have lousy gears 3:21 with no limited slip, no lockers, nothing

If I save up for lockers should I get one ASAP and put it in the front or rear? Or should I wait and regear to something like 4:10's and put ARB lockers front and rear?

Matthew
Old 08-20-2013, 05:43 PM
Former Vendor

I would get the bumpers done and the winch. I can't tell you how often we use our winch. We use it to get out of mud, over rocks, pull others out, and even move rocks when they get kicked up in a really bad position.

I would wait till you gear it to install the lockers. It will save you on a ton of labor if you do the gears and lockers at the same time.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:54 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Smashboogie 4x4
I would get the bumpers done and the winch. I can't tell you how often we use our winch. We use it to get out of mud, over rocks, pull others out, and even move rocks when they get kicked up in a really bad position.

I would wait till you gear it to install the lockers. It will save you on a ton of labor if you do the gears and lockers at the same time.
The bumpers are pretty much a done deal, rear bumper and tire carrier are on right now and next Wednesday the front bumper goes on...

I love the idea of a winch but a lot of the guys I go out on the trail with have winches.

Love the idea of a warn winch with synthetic line, I'm usually really into being self contained, that's part of why I have almost always had a jeep!

I really like being able to go out anywhere I want no matter what the weather is doing.

Matthew
Old 08-21-2013, 09:37 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
The bumpers are pretty much a done deal, rear bumper and tire carrier are on right now and next Wednesday the front bumper goes on...

I love the idea of a winch but a lot of the guys I go out on the trail with have winches.

Love the idea of a warn winch with synthetic line, I'm usually really into being self contained, that's part of why I have almost always had a jeep!

I really like being able to go out anywhere I want no matter what the weather is doing.

Matthew
I hear ya on that. It makes sense to be self supported. Even if someone else is on the trail with you that has a winch it does not mean that they will be able to get into a good position to help you out, this is why we highly recommend a winch.

The lockers and gears will cost much more than a quality winch. PM us if you want a quote on anything.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

use the force

just kidding. I'm going to 3.73s and dual truetracs. Maybe consider 3.73s or 4.10s I hate the 3.21s.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:33 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by gibsonfirebird12
use the force

just kidding. I'm going to 3.73s and dual truetracs. Maybe consider 3.73s or 4.10s I hate the 3.21s.
I'm getting by o.k. With 3:21's and 33's

Looking at regearing to 4:10's but it seems like I should wait and regear and add lockers at the same time?

Matthew

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum
Old 08-22-2013, 10:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

What about an Aussie locker for the rear?

Quick Reply: Looking for suggestions and guidance on path to building up my Jeep