Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Looking for stubby front bumper experience/opinion

Old 03-20-2014, 08:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for stubby front bumper experience/opinion

Hi guys,

I'm in the market for a stubby front bumper, and I'm looking at opinions about 4 stubby front bumpers I am hesitating between, so maybe it can ease my choice:

-Poison Spyder JK Brawler Lite with Brawler Bar (gusset plate)
-LOD Armor Lite Shorty Front Bumper with hoop bar or stinger (still not sure)
-ACE Pro Series Front Bumper Stinger with Double Row Lifetime Led Combo (crash bar cutting required)
-Expedition One Core Series Front Bumper with hoop

Any input on those bumpers is appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 03-20-2014, 09:02 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

I would pick the one that gives you the best approach angle and would not do a stinger or hoop.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:24 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
I would pick the one that gives you the best approach angle and would not do a stinger or hoop.
Why is that?
Old 03-21-2014, 02:24 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Not to complicate things, but have you looked at what we have to offer?
www.jcroffroad.com
Old 03-21-2014, 03:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JcrOffroad
Not to complicate things, but have you looked at what we have to offer?
JcrOffroad Inc. - Join the Crusade!
Hi JCR,

Yes I also looked at JCR products, and I really like the Dagger Stubby, but without the hoop or stinger since I don't really the shape of the tube gusset that match hoop or stinger, but this is my personnal opinion. But I like the fact that it retain the OE fog lights, that is something I would like to keep, and also like how the lines match the jeep. I was thinking to go with this one for a moment, but changed my mind...

I also saw the new Mauler Stubby that is interesting, but there is no OE fog light provision and I had to narrow down my choice to the 4 bumpers in my original post, since there is too many bumpers on the market... and it's hard to take a decision...

But when it comes time to buy a rear bumper, I really like your new full width... the Vanguard i think... and I will be considering it.

Thanks JCR!
Old 03-21-2014, 04:21 AM
JK Newbie

Default rockhard stubby front bumper

Rockhard stubby front bumper is an easy to install front bumper. You can keep your factory fog lamps as well which is a plus.

Check it out.Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	539259
Old 03-21-2014, 04:33 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those are all nice choices. If you go with the ace you really can't go back. You have to cut the outer half if the frame horn off on both sides. Many front bumpers use those two holes on each side that you are removing. You also have to drill your own winch holes in their winch plate. It's 1/4" steel and while doable really should be done by the manufacturer.

sent from my work leash
Old 03-21-2014, 04:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Hi Dirtman,

I understand your point on approach angle and it makes a lot of sense and I imagine the stubby have this function basically... However the trails here doesn't offer a lot of rockcrawling to do, and are most of the time in the wood and sometimes kind of tight, so I would like to have a hoop at least as protection for my front grille. Maybe a stinger could be overkill, that's why I was liking the LoD ArmorLite since he's not that big and pronounced... I really do not wheel as extreme as you, I think, but I like to go out in the rocky/muddy trails.

The jeep is also my daily driver and I'm not wheeling every week-end, so I don't think the hoop or stinger will be problematic for me.

Was there another reason to not go stinger or hoop way??

Thanks for your input, knowing that you have a lot more experience than me...
Old 03-21-2014, 05:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mattgt5
Those are all nice choices. If you go with the ace you really can't go back. You have to cut the outer half if the frame horn off on both sides. Many front bumpers use those two holes on each side that you are removing. You also have to drill your own winch holes in their winch plate. It's 1/4" steel and while doable really should be done by the manufacturer.

sent from my work leash
Hi mattgt5,

Yep your right!! I already looked at the install, and crash bar has to be removed as well as the outer half of the frame horn on both side, as you said.

But you make me realize that it will be impossible to go for a different bumper route in the future due to the frame horn cutting, and I didn't know about the winch plate to be drilled by myself.

Good input!!!

So I'll probably put the ACE out of my list... but the look is killer, but maybe the bumper doesn't fit my needs...

Thanks!
Old 03-21-2014, 05:26 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked at the ace pro and pushed it aside too for those reasons. I went with the Hanson stubby stinger. I like it a lot and am happy I went with it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1749879476.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	539269

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3484986352.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	539270

sent from my work leash

Quick Reply: Looking for stubby front bumper experience/opinion