Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Looking for someone with the following setup, need advice on bumpstops

Old 02-17-2014, 08:08 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking for someone with the following setup, need advice on bumpstops

JKU 3.5 X factor long arm lift with 38x14.50r17 Goodyear MTRs or BFG KM2s. What bumpstops are you running for this setup?
Old 02-17-2014, 08:47 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It depends on how much you are willing to trim the tub.

I run 40s on 3.5" backspaced wheels and do not have a body lift. I needed about 3.5" front and rear extended bumpstops, but I trimmed a good amount of the rear fender well pinch seams and the rear edges of the front fenders.

With 38s that wide, you will want to run 3.5" backspaced wheels to allow you to turn without completely rubbing the paint off the front control arms and the frame. Even then you will need to add many washers to your steering stops.

With flat flares and no body lift, you should be able to get by with about 2.5" front and 3" rear extended bumpstops if you are not afraid to trim the pinch seams.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:53 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by planman

I run 40s on 3.5" backspaced wheels and do not have a body lift. I needed about 3.5" front and rear extended bumpstops, but I trimmed a good amount of the rear fender well pinch seams and the rear edges of the front fenders.

With 38s that wide, you will want to run 3.5" backspaced wheels to allow you to turn without completely rubbing the paint off the front control arms and the frame. Even then you will need to add many washers to your steering stops.

With flat flares and no body lift, you should be able to get by with about 2.5" front and 3" rear extended bumpstops if you are not afraid to trim the pinch seams.
are you referring to the upper or lower bumpstops? (I was just informed there were upper and lower, not sure why both are needed). I have already trimmed my pinch seam and some of the inner fender wells because I am running 35" tires on 1.5" spacer lift in the front and .5 coil spacer in the rear with stock bumpstops. What brand bumpstop should I be ordering and is there a good weld in adjustable bumpstop?

thanks
Old 02-17-2014, 08:58 PM
JK Freak

and I have 1.5" spidertrax spacers to handle the wider tires paired with 4.5" backspacing. I'm also running a relatively light rig with synthetic winch line and a stubby bumper so I expect a full 4" of lift in the front.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:12 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

For the front, I prefer lower extended bumpstops because they act also as a coil retainer.

For the rear, you could do the adjustable, weld-in Rock Krawler uppers, or you could do something like the Teraflex lowers.

The amounts I gave were the combined amount of extended bumpstopping. It doesn't matter whether it comes from upper or lower mounts.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:26 PM
JK Freak

For the front, I prefer lower extended bumpstops because they act also as a coil retainer.

For the rear, you could do the adjustable, weld-in Rock Krawler uppers, or you could do something like the Teraflex lowers.

The amounts I gave were the combined amount of extended bumpstopping. It doesn't matter whether it comes from upper or lower mounts.
thanks Planman, always value your input.

Quick Reply: Looking for someone with the following setup, need advice on bumpstops