Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Looking for some help

Old 07-21-2020, 06:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for some help

Bringing the subject back. I have need dealing with annoying bump steer and wonder. Got some video of the steering tonight and found this movement at the track bar in the frame side. Would this movement cause wondering and bump steer? I will also upload a video of the tie rod at the pitman to see if this movement is normal as well. Does the movement in the tie rod at the pitman look ok? It seems like a lot of movement there and not much on the other end of the drag link at the knuckle.

Last edited by Timm Jones; 07-21-2020 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Trying to upload videos
Old 07-21-2020, 07:04 PM
JK Newbie

For some reason the videos are not uploading

Last edited by Timm Jones; 07-21-2020 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Video did not load
Old 07-21-2020, 07:25 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I can’t see the video but a loose track bar will cause wondering and sloppy steering
Old 07-21-2020, 07:55 PM
JK Newbie

See if this works
Old 07-21-2020, 08:01 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jadmt
I can’t see the video but a loose track bar will cause wondering and sloppy steering
any idea how to post videos on here by any chance?
Old 07-21-2020, 08:34 PM
JK Newbie

Default See if this video works

Last edited by Timm Jones; 07-21-2020 at 08:57 PM.
Old 07-22-2020, 02:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts

Looks to me like your heim joint is bad. Looks like the joint itself is moving laterally in the first video. It should not be able to do that.
Old 07-22-2020, 04:31 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

That indeed looks like a bad joint, and for sure that is not helping anything. That frame side TB joint is one of the most important joints in the system, and is often the cause of many wobble woes. My opinion based on wobble experience is that it usually takes 2 issues (bad joints, bad joint + loose bolt, bad joint + out of balance tires, etc) to cause real DW, and I'd say you are 1 bad BJ or other bad component away from having a lot bigger issues. Heim joint also isn't something I would want in that bracket on my jeep either. You're already exploring MC products. Look at the bushings that MC and Synergy use in their TBs. Those things are going to be much more solid than a heim joint. All of the force in that TB is lateral......you're just constantly wearing a metal on metal joint in that application IMO.

I'd add that TREs and DL ends are much less common to create issues, although they do go bad. If you think about bump steer, when that axle is hitting a pothole or bump, and the TB joint has some play in it, the whole axle can move just a bit, and when it does, the motion is going back up through the knuckle, DL, pitman arm, sector shaft and steering box. I'd replace that TB first before proceeding with any diagnosis.

Last edited by resharp001; 07-22-2020 at 04:35 AM.
Old 07-25-2020, 02:28 PM
JK Newbie

Update. I replaced the hiem joint at the frame bracket and drove it around a bit today. Seems to be much better. NoW I noticed the steering wheel is now off. Could a bad hiem joint cause alignment issues? Before I replaced it, the steering wheel was dead perfect now the steering wheel is off.
Old 07-25-2020, 04:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

You probably just need to adjust your drag link to recenter your steering wheel.

Quick Reply: Looking for some help