Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Looking for some advise

Old 08-23-2009, 06:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for some advise

I have currently a 2.5 Rough Country Lift on my 2009 JK and I am not happy
with the ride Q of it! I don't know what other's think but I am looking possibly
for some pictures of some that are running an OME 2" lift with stock size BFG
KM's (255/75r17's) I am just trying to get a feel for what I am getting myself into if I go from my current setup

(1) I am getting vibration bad and I think that is the wheel spacer's I am using from RC as well b/c they are not hub centric?

(2) everytime I hit a bump it seems like my jeep is falling apart and that the ESP is engaging and have tried numorous time to turn it off and cannot seemingly get it right with everything ya have to do to turn it off?

(3) I am also wondering if the power loss is b/c I went to a bigger heavier tire and if I buy a superchips programmer would fix this prob???

anyone that want's to chime in on this please do I know it's a jeep and I didn't buy it for gas mileage nor a great ride but I don't wanna throw money @ something and it not fix my prob's like going to a better lift and such or wasting my money on a tuner or if going to OE tires in a MT BFG is going to yeild me better gas mileage

JUST WANTING TO START FROM SCRATCH AND DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO???

CONFUSED JK'ER HERE

I also do mild offraoding in it 95% highway and 5% offroad so that is why I am noticing all this now in the first 5000 miles of it's life

Last edited by 2009jkxrc; 08-23-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:36 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you install the parts? When does the vibration occur, and where is it felt (seat, wheel, floor)? What shocks?
Old 08-23-2009, 06:47 PM
JK Newbie

I get the vibration @ 65 MPH not @ 60 not @ 70 so typically I would think
bent wheel or the wheel spacers not being centered on hub???

They are RC Shocks that came with the kit and it was installed by the shop
I work for was one of those try it and see
Old 08-23-2009, 06:52 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did the shop re-center the steering wheel? Could be the esp prob. Did they take the star washers off your hubs before installing the spacers? Also, or you running the same tires as before the lift?
Old 08-23-2009, 06:54 PM
JK Junkie

Star washers could be on, as well as someone didn't take the necessary precaution before tightening those spacers. Someone with an impact gun, or didn't ease and step torque them could have tweaked the spacers..
Old 08-24-2009, 03:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

The vibration only occuring at one particular speed, tells me that your stock tire with only 5000 miles on them have never been rotated. I have had this "shaking" or vibration occur only at 1 speed, and both times it was because I forgot to rotate my tires and they were wearing unevenly.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:20 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Based on what you're telling us...it sounds like you need to check a few things...

Wheels, most (95%) of aftermarket wheels for jeeps are lug centric, not hub centric - so you probably need to remove each wheel and ensure its tightend properly and centered. If someone just threw them up there and torqued the hell out of each lug, it probably is off center. Also have your wheels rebalanced....

Lift, a 2.5" lift isn't usually enough to cause bad bumpsteer - but it isn't impossible. Sounds like you need an dropped pitman arm to get your steering geometry back within spec.

If your ESP is going off and your steering wheel is going bananas, sounds like your steering isnt setup right. Might also need to get an adjustable trackbar to get your axle centered if you don't already have one.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 2009jkxrc
I have currently a 2.5 Rough Country Lift on my 2009 JK and I am not happy
with the ride Q of it! I don't know what other's think but I am looking possibly
for some pictures of some that are running an OME 2" lift with stock size BFG
KM's (255/75r17's) I am just trying to get a feel for what I am getting myself into if I go from my current setup

(1) I am getting vibration bad and I think that is the wheel spacer's I am using from RC as well b/c they are not hub centric?

(2) everytime I hit a bump it seems like my jeep is falling apart and that the ESP is engaging and have tried numorous time to turn it off and cannot seemingly get it right with everything ya have to do to turn it off?

(3) I am also wondering if the power loss is b/c I went to a bigger heavier tire and if I buy a superchips programmer would fix this prob???

anyone that want's to chime in on this please do I know it's a jeep and I didn't buy it for gas mileage nor a great ride but I don't wanna throw money @ something and it not fix my prob's like going to a better lift and such or wasting my money on a tuner or if going to OE tires in a MT BFG is going to yeild me better gas mileage

JUST WANTING TO START FROM SCRATCH AND DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO???

CONFUSED JK'ER HERE

I also do mild offraoding in it 95% highway and 5% offroad so that is why I am noticing all this now in the first 5000 miles of it's life
1. Make sure your lugs are torqued to spec.

2. Make sure your steering wheel is centered.

3. Have you tires balanced again, speed related vibrations are a lot of times wheel imbalance. I had a bitch of a time to get my MTRs balanced, they were vibrating at 55mph.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Make sure there isn't any mud on the inside of your wheels. I had a similar problem and found out i didn't clean very well after going through mud obviously.

I'm just shooting for the simple problem/fix
Old 08-24-2009, 05:15 PM
JK Newbie

Well I had taken off the wheel spacers today and solved I would say about
75% of the problem I think once I switch to a better lift kit then the Rough Country It should all be solved

Quick Reply: Looking for some advise