Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Looking for a softer ride

Old 04-21-2013, 09:47 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pontiac31
Just curious about this thread, I am about to get new shocks also. I put 15k a year on my jk with 37's and also want a softer ride. When speak of off road performance what are you talking about? I cant imagine shocks having a huge impact on rock crawling. High speed desert racing definitely.
As said before, suspension softness is a compromise between road softness & comfort, and offroad handling.
When the suspension (or specifically the shocks) are too soft, the Jeep would swing too much while offroading, which undermines its handling. I'm referring to obstacle crossing.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:52 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by BulldogMJP
Would off-road evo plush springs fix this issue. How hard is it to swap out springs. I can only just get my finger between the front coils so I'm thinking this is causing the harsh ride. I have stinger bumper and winch so there is increased weight up front. Don't want to buy new springs and get same problem due to weight.
Relatively soft coils are the EVO plush, OME, Full Traction.
If you replace only the front coils, the Jeep may not necessarily be leveled.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:58 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by k0260
Remote reservoir shocks help all around off road performance. Yes they do handle excellent at high speeds over whoops and wash board, and any heavy hits. They have longer travel with the extra oil storage, they run cooler so the shock won't fade and feel sloppy after being heated up from a long trail ride or rock crawlin for a long period of time.
A few friends of mine have FOX shocks without reservoirs.
After hours of slow offroading in hot desert, they weren't warmer than the ambient temp'. They also weren't warmer then my Fox with reservoirs.
My impression is that slow speed doesn't cause warming.

Last edited by GJeep; 04-22-2013 at 03:29 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GJeep
Relatively soft coils are the EVO plush, OME, Full Traction.
If you replace only the front coils, the Jeep may not necessarily be leveled.
And AEV.

Only way to get a better ride is to get better coils.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:19 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by TAT2DFREAK
And AEV.

Only way to get a better ride is to get better coils.
The only way to make a spring much softer is to lower the spring coefficient ( = make it 'weaker' ), in which case it would sag and won't support the Jeep at the required height. As the coil has to hold the Jeeps' weight at a certain height, the possibility to make it softer is quite limited.

The shock, on the other hand, supports no weight, it only resists the coil movement. This resistance can be tweaked to change the softness of the coil/shock combination over a much wider range than can be achieved with any coil.

Last edited by GJeep; 04-24-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Update. I switched out the shocks to bilstein 5100, big noticable improvement in the ride. Also Ive just installed a set of control arm relocation brackets. My ride is now smooth and confortable. Night and day from the harsh bone shaker before. Thanks for everyones advice.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just upgraded to the teraflex fox dual resovoir shocks and still have the stiff ride. I think the only way to really get that smooth ride is to upgrade to long control arms.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:38 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

You would change the valving in the shocks if you want to soften the ride, coils will have an affect on the ride as well.

Not sure why you think a long arm would soften your ride? It will improve the ride but due to other factors in the suspension geometry.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:09 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by GIJK
I just upgraded to the teraflex fox dual resovoir shocks and still have the stiff ride. I think the only way to really get that smooth ride is to upgrade to long control arms.
Its the foxs. I put the off the shelf Dual Res. with an RK 5.5 3 weeks ago and my rig is stiff as shit! Very uncomfortable, doesn't soak up ANY bumps. I am taking the Fox's off next week and sending them back to Fox to have them re-valved. I will let you know how it comes out. I actually called RK and they told me a long arm wouldn't make that big of difference and they though it was the shocks as well.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VETTETHRET

Its the foxs. I put the off the shelf Dual Res. with an RK 5.5 3 weeks ago and my rig is stiff as shit! Very uncomfortable, doesn't soak up ANY bumps. I am taking the Fox's off next week and sending them back to Fox to have them re-valved. I will let you know how it comes out. I actually called RK and they told me a long arm wouldn't make that big of difference and they though it was the shocks as well.
Appreciate the tip. A few long arm upgrade manufacturers on here have suggested ride quality with their kits. I have never ridden in one so I'm going with others experiences. Probably best to place my $ on other mods...

Quick Reply: Looking for a softer ride