Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Looking for a softer ride

Old 04-21-2013, 01:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TAT2DFREAK
I am pretty sure if you look at the coils and try and stick you finger between the coils it will just bairly fit and to me this is the reason for a hard ride.

Yup, what's the fix?
Old 04-21-2013, 02:56 PM
JK Freak

Just curious about this thread, I am about to get new shocks also. I put 15k a year on my jk with 37's and also want a softer ride. When speak of off road performance what are you talking about? I cant imagine shocks having a huge impact on rock crawling. High speed desert racing definitely.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Would off-road evo plush springs fix this issue. How hard is it to swap out springs. I can only just get my finger between the front coils so I'm thinking this is causing the harsh ride. I have stinger bumper and winch so there is increased weight up front. Don't want to buy new springs and get same problem due to weight.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:32 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pontiac31
Just curious about this thread, I am about to get new shocks also. I put 15k a year on my jk with 37's and also want a softer ride. When speak of off road performance what are you talking about? I cant imagine shocks having a huge impact on rock crawling. High speed desert racing definitely.
Remote reservoir shocks help all around off road performance. Yes they do handle excellent at high speeds over whoops and wash board, and any heavy hits. They have longer travel with the extra oil storage, they run cooler so the shock won't fade and feel sloppy after being heated up from a long trail ride or rock crawlin for a long period of time.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:53 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by k0260

Remote reservoir shocks help all around off road performance. Yes they do handle excellent at high speeds over whoops and wash board, and any heavy hits. They have longer travel with the extra oil storage, they run cooler so the shock won't fade and feel sloppy after being heated up from a long trail ride or rock crawlin for a long period of time.
I have teraflex shocks that came on my jeep when I bought it. I guess ive never experienced fade. I have run just about every trail at Rausch creek, outback in eu clair, and southington without even a hint of fade.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:32 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pontiac31
I have teraflex shocks that came on my jeep when I bought it. I guess ive never experienced fade. I have run just about every trail at Rausch creek, outback in eu clair, and southington without even a hint of fade.
right on, only other benefit I forgot to mention with RR, very sensitive dampening, making them difficult to bottom out
Old 04-21-2013, 05:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did the AEV brackets and it made a very noticeable improvement in ride quality. I then switched to Bilstein 5100s to try and get even more on road comfort. The shock upgrade made a noticeable difference, but the AEV brackets were the most noticeable improvement.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just a thought... What PSI are you running. I dropped mine from 32 to 28 and noticed a significant difference.

~JDub

Sent from this Dang Thing
Old 04-21-2013, 05:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BulldogMJP

Yup, what's the fix?
I'm no expert but those coils don't look right!!
My ride is rough with my crappy RC coils but I have evo plush rides in the mail!!
Old 04-21-2013, 06:50 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by JDub23
Just a thought... What PSI are you running. I dropped mine from 32 to 28 and noticed a significant difference.

~JDub

Sent from this Dang Thing
I was thinking the same thing. Letting some air out of the tires might do the trick and would be free and easy to do.

Personally I like the on road ride from the ome nitro sport over the 5100's but both are good shocks. This was when running the 2" ome hd coils. I have never run fox so I have no opinion on them. The bilstein 7100 shocks are a nice shock that can be re-valved and re-built by the end user if they have the right tools. They have a Schrader valve so you can adjust the nitrogen pressure allowing further ride adjustment.

A res shock will give you a little more down travel vs the same body sized standard shock and will contain more oil and keep them cooler, but for 99% of the people with JK's will never run hard enough to cause shock fade. Rock crawling does not cycle the shock fast enough to cause over heating of the oil to the point of shock fade.

Coil rates will have an affect on ride quality, the stiffer or higher the coil rate will ride a bit rougher but will give a more stable ride in cornering or when off camber by holding the vehicle more upright. A softer coil rate will give you a very nice ride on road and when running fast over bumps but will give you more body lean when cornering and may feel a bit squishy when off road. Sway bars and air bumps can be used on soft set ups to control the body roll and unstable feeling that is typical of a soft suspension.

So to summarize, optimized ride quality will be a delicate balance of coils, shocks, bump stops, wheel travel, sway bars, and tire pressure. So will simply changing brand of shocks improve your ride? Maybe, Maybe not. Unless you can find someone else with the exact same specs of your rig you are going to have a hard time finding the answer on a forum.

Quick Reply: Looking for a softer ride