Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Looking for a softer ride

Old 04-20-2013, 03:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pro comp springs. 4" lift. It handles great just very hard ride.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:13 PM
MFX
JK Super Freak

Subscribed! I have the teraflex 2.5" lift with the TF 9500 shocks and things are pretty rough. Wondering if swapping out shocks will help soften the ride.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:17 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GJeep
You could re-valve and make them softer, but it's either offroad performance or real soft DD.
Fox +res', 4" full Traction. On road, the ride is softer than stock, handling is real good.
If I make the shocks softer, the bump stops would get hit too often offroad.
Yeah it does seem to be more one way or another for shocks ride feel. Rather than pay the expense of sending these out to Fox for re-valving, I'd prefer to sacrifice a little of the on road plush ride for much improved off road performance
Old 04-20-2013, 03:31 PM
JK Newbie

If your not worried about off-road and losing some clearance I would look installing a AVE control arm correction bracket. With the angle of your control arms your always going to feel every bump.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by k0260
Fox 2.0 remote res with Evo plush coils are an excellent ride. I couldn't be happier. My last shocks were the Bilstein 5100's. Truth be told the Bilsteins rode softer on road than the Fox. Off road though Fox really shines
So I just got the evo plush coils and I am thinking about 5100s. So you had these first and they rode good??
Old 04-20-2013, 03:44 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thecoz
So I just got the evo plush coils and I am thinking about 5100s. So you had these first and they rode good??
Yes I had the 5100's first. The on road ride felt much softer than the Fox 2.0 remote res shocks. That said, I do love the Fox 2.0's for their off road performance. The dampening is a lot more sensitive on the Fox' making for a smoother ride off road. In all the Bilstein 5100's are a great all around shock, nearly all that run or have ran them loves them.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Aev brackets, worth a try. My steering and handling feels fine but every bump, hole, ridge and crack in the road can be felt. I'm going to try the brackets.

Old 04-21-2013, 04:23 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BulldogMJP
It's mainly for DD. Leaning towards bils as price is reasonable . Just wondering if ome or even Rancho xl are a softer ride.
The difference between shocks is their quality, and not necessarily their softness.
Softness is determined by the shocks' valving, not by quality or price.

Coil and shock work together as a system, therefore the shocks' valving should fit the specific coil.
It is possible to tune a shock -- within a certain range of hardness/softness -- in which the shock works properly with a specific coil.
'Properly' means that, after a bump, the suspension goes up & down roughly 1.5 cycles.
Valve it to be too hard, and the coil can hardly move.
Valve it to be too soft, and the coil moves too freely, the Jeep becomes too bouncy, and the bump stops would often get hit.
Too hard or too soft also spoils road handling.

Whatever shocks you choose, they have to suit the coils.
If the ride with the new shock is too hard or too soft, you'll need to re-valve the shocks.
This means sending the socks for re-valving, and paying for it. It may take 2 or even 3 re-valvings before you're satisfied.

That's why I suggested the Fox which you can tweak by yourself, over 8 degrees of softness.
Link:On page 5

Last edited by GJeep; 04-21-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:38 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BulldogMJP
Pro comp springs. 4" lift. It handles great just very hard ride.
I am pretty sure if you look at the coils and try and stick you finger between the coils it will just bairly fit and to me this is the reason for a hard ride.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The rancho have a little knob that you can turn to make the ride harder or softer. Also bilstien 5100 > old man emu.

Quick Reply: Looking for a softer ride