Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Looking for snorkel thoughts and opinions!

Old 08-14-2012, 07:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody ever tried to make a snorkel on your own? I am looking at options :-)
Old 08-14-2012, 09:33 AM
JK Newbie

Snorkel or not if you plan to get your jeep wet make sure to waterproof everything under the hood...especially the TPIM which if it gets wet you are quite literally dead in the water.

I have the Rugged Ridge and I got it specifically because I have always wanted a snorkel.

You will need to remove at least the front bolt on the Rubi rail. You need to remove the 5 bolts on on the fender under the hood, the 5 bolts under the fender, the 2 bolts between the door hinges, and the 2 bolts that run along where the fender meets the chassis and where the Rubi rail attaches.

If anyone wants I have a thread started about the rugged ridge snorkel which has a link to the install instructions.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sknahsb
Snorkel or not if you plan to get your jeep wet make sure to waterproof everything under the hood...especially the TPIM which if it gets wet you are quite literally dead in the water.

I have the Rugged Ridge and I got it specifically because I have always wanted a snorkel.

You will need to remove at least the front bolt on the Rubi rail. You need to remove the 5 bolts on on the fender under the hood, the 5 bolts under the fender, the 2 bolts between the door hinges, and the 2 bolts that run along where the fender meets the chassis and where the Rubi rail attaches.

If anyone wants I have a thread started about the rugged ridge snorkel which has a link to the install instructions.
Whats the TPIM? And how do you waterproof it and the rest of ur stuff under the hood?
Old 08-14-2012, 09:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sknahsb

Sounds very good, but where is the link, please?
The main question: How on earth do you waterproof the TPIM???
Old 08-14-2012, 10:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eumel789
Anybody ever tried to make a snorkel on your own? I am looking at options :-)
There's a decent choice of snorkels for all budgets, specs and sizes. AlmightyCrash made his own a few years ago, in thread https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/lone...-party-129735/
Old 08-14-2012, 10:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Does anyone here have an ARB snorkel? I had one on my mitsubishi montero and loved it! I'm really want one for my Rubi, but it seems like nobody is interested in it for the Jeep. Why is that? If you have one please post some pics!!!
Old 08-14-2012, 10:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

So getting a snorkel has been on my list of wants, only real question I have is I have a MOPAR CAI. Will a snorkel mount to my intake? They installed it at the dealership. Can anyone shed some light on this.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by westchester
There's a decent choice of snorkels for all budgets, specs and sizes. AlmightyCrash made his own a few years ago, in thread https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/lone...-party-129735/
Thanks for the info!
Old 08-15-2012, 05:26 AM
JK Newbie

Here are the instructions:
http://www.omix-ada.com/instructions/17756.06.pdf

The TPIM is basically your fuse box and if you search JK Submarine on the forum you'll see some more detailed info on it. As for H2O proofing it, I haven't tackled that quite yet but I imagine it involves a significant amount of RTV.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are my two cents..

I bought a snorkel because:

1. I don't intend to go that deep in water but in my last Jeep a few times in the Spring or when Beaver cause problems I've entered a hole thinking its 2 feet and it ends up being 4 feet.. Most the trails here are only used 2-3 times a year so you never know what you'll run into and I'm normally in the front..

2. Lots and lots of dirt dusty roads here... I've seen Jeep stop working here because the filters clog.

We did a little test before a weekend run / camping trip.
1. We took a stock JK and my JK with AEV snorkel
2. Checked the filters to make sure they were clean (both mopar filters)
3. Ran the same roads the whole week
4. Checked the filters at the end and mine was clean and his was very dusty

I feel like I did get a small gas mileage improvement after installing the snorkel.. I can't prove it and it isn't huge but I'd say .25 - .5 mpg

Edit: I should note a major disadvantage.. You'll be forever telling people what it is.. I've had so many random people walk up to me in parking lots and ask. I've owned Jeeps for about 15 years and never had so many questions asked.

Last edited by JeepingNet; 08-15-2012 at 08:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Looking for snorkel thoughts and opinions!