Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Looking to run 35" tires

Old 02-02-2014, 05:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by karls
Rubi wheels plus spidertrax, so isn't it 6.25-1.5 leaving me at 4.75"? I don't know the exact factory bs figure off hand.

My point is showing it can be done, albeit not ideal if you want to go pound trails. It'll work around town and probably up and down fire roads.
Sounds right. I intend to start running 35's and wheel it on my stock suspension with my home built steel fenders. I found some 2" wheel adapters on ebay I might try. From there I'll decide what I want to do with the suspension.

Im glad you posted up your pic and talked about your Jeep. Now I can visualize more where I'm headed.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:04 AM
JK Junkie

Just get your bumpstops set up correctly and obviously everything else that goes with 35's- gussets, potential truss, you know the drill.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just get your bumpstops set up correctly and obviously everything else that goes with 35's- gussets, potential truss, you know the drill.
I know most of the drill, but nobody I've found runs 35's on stock suspension with high clearance steel flares like the ones I'm building, or like Metal Cloak's. With 4.25" of backspace, what's going to rub that would require bump stops? I've measured and measured and the only thing I can see is some of the stuff in the front wheel well might be an issue.

I so want to recreate my old K5. I ran 38.5" tires on 4" of lift, and just gutted the body and wheel wells until nothing rubbed, but the JK just isn't that easy :(
Old 02-02-2014, 06:24 AM
JK Junkie

Bumpstops are about rubbing flares but also about bottoming out your shocks, so make sure you won't completely collapse your shocks when you pull all of the flare and liners out of the way.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Bumpstops are about rubbing flares but also about bottoming out your shocks, so make sure you won't completely collapse your shocks when you pull all of the flare and liners out of the way.
Changing tires or removing flares isn't going to change anything about the stock suspension. The stock bumps prevent bottoming the stock shocks. I just wonder what the tires are going to rub on now. Control arms? Sway bar? Little brackets that hold up electronics in the engine compartment? Rear wheel well tub? Etc.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:38 AM
JK Junkie

I forgot about stock shocks, I swapped mine out early on to longer ones with stock coils.

The setup was for a week until my friend bought them off me :( but with the spacers I didn't touch CA's or sway bars. If you gut the liners then that shouldn't be an issue either. The brackets that hang over top of the flare are possible but unlikely since you'll have the wheels pushed out.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:47 AM
JK Newbie

Wheel spacers, bumpstops if you want to play off road before your lift. My personal pic of 35" km2's with wheel spacers on stock rubi wheels and rubi coils.

Attachment 528211
I knew I'd seen it done before! Thanks.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:53 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by beermantsw
I went with the budget lift first and then saved up for 35s, your Jeep will look mean with the lift and stock 32s. If you go with the 35s first you will tear off your fenders, trust me I know. but I can tell you a site on Ebay to find new fender clips to put them back on
What was the budget lift you started with? I was just looking at Rubicon Express' 2.5" Budget Boost well within my current finances. I'd love to add that little extra now and get those 35" rolling sooner rather than later. But is it worth it? Eventually I'd like to run a 3.5" long arm suspension.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:51 AM
JK Newbie

Currently I am running 35 inch Duratracs on stock 17 MOABs. Have spacers with a 1.5 Teraflex leveling kit.

I cannot fully flex out.

I am going to be trimming my fenders soon to see if I can flex fully, if not the next thing will be to install bumpstops. I also have the pinch seam trimmed. Hope this helps!
Old 02-04-2014, 03:07 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Ang3L
Currently I am running 35 inch Duratracs on stock 17 MOABs. Have spacers with a 1.5 Teraflex leveling kit.

I cannot fully flex out.

I am going to be trimming my fenders soon to see if I can flex fully, if not the next thing will be to install bumpstops. I also have the pinch seam trimmed. Hope this helps!
Yea man! Thanks a bunch.

Quick Reply: Looking to run 35" tires