Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Looking for practical advice on axles

Old 09-16-2009, 04:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for practical advice on axles

My offroading is deep south, lots of mud, dirt and rock mix. We dont have massive boulders typically like a lot of you guys do. I will not be doing anything like what you all do out West. I built my rig specifically for this style of wheelin. I have begun to work on my front axles now before I destroy them. Currently I installed the front JKS brace(which is freaking stout by the way) and the EVO C gussetts. I also obtained the EVO 44 mags. After doing some searching through the theads I have wondered if I even need to do the 44 mags. My original plan was to install the EVO 44 mags and then put in some alloy usa axles, now with the kind of offroading around here, do I really need to do this? I am going to defer gears right now because my 4.1 are fine, Georgia is as flat as can be and I have a manual. Any and all opinions welcomed
Old 09-16-2009, 04:55 PM
Former Member

Have you ever broke shafts before? If you haven't I wouldn't worry much about putting alloy shafts in. Mud is usually pretty easy on shafts, but hard on bearings and seals.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:35 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

If your choice was between purchasing or not purchasing, sure. But you HAVE them. Toss em in and give us a report...
Old 09-17-2009, 05:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by nthinuf
If your choice was between purchasing or not purchasing, sure. But you HAVE them. Toss em in and give us a report...
I only have the sleeves, not the axles. If I am not going to replace the axles ,is there a point to sleeve the axle tube?
Old 09-17-2009, 06:45 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Ryan, I'm down here in the Southeast too, and often your concern isn't the mud, it's what's under it!

Since you have a trailblazer, pathfinder, multi-purpose rescue rig like me, I'd look into building it as tough as possible.
The only thing worse than breaking an axle, is breaking an axle on that log under deep mud. Ask me how I know!
Old 09-17-2009, 06:58 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My problem with mud is....you never know what's in it. If you go ahead and get good axles, it won't as much of a concern.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:58 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO mud can be pretty hard on axles. The guys I know that are into mud squish the go pedal down until the tires are churning 12000RPMS. Then if they get traction shit hits the fan. Something you may want to consider also is welding the caps on your u-joints at the stub. Lots of guys have twisted caps off then broke the ears off the axle, stub, or both.

here is mine:

Old 09-17-2009, 07:42 AM
JK Junkie

I see alot of mud as well and I bought some mag 44 sleeves to help keep mud out of the axle tunes and hopefully it will make my axle seals last longer. And for those who think because mud is slippery you dont break axles... you are wrong! Like previously stated it takes alot of wheel speed to keep the mud out of the tires.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by edwin907
Ryan, I'm down here in the Southeast too, and often your concern isn't the mud, it's what's under it!

Since you have a trailblazer, pathfinder, multi-purpose rescue rig like me, I'd look into building it as tough as possible.
The only thing worse than breaking an axle, is breaking an axle on that log under deep mud. Ask me how I know!
Good advice, you have a pretty sick rig by the way.

Quick Reply: Looking for practical advice on axles