Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Looking for Performance Advice.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:08 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for Performance Advice.

Hi, I'm new to the forum as you can see. I am looking for some advice around performance upgrades on my 08 jk 4dr Sahara unlimited. Hope this is the right place to post. I was thinking of putting the Gibson metal mulisha exhaust for aesthetics and overall sound Gibson Performance 60-0023 - Gibson Performance Metal Mulisha Black Ceramic 5" Dual Split Exhaust for 07-13 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK 3.6L & 3.8L - Quadratec. But I was also interested in performance chips and air intake but don't know where to start as there are many appealing options. This is my first Jeep so in essence I'm a little green. I have had other trucks but my first jeep. I have been in the automotive industry for years (since I was 15) I worked at a few machine shops building engines mostly muscle builds and some stock engine rebuilds but never got to far into aftermarket bolt on performance. I'm looking to increase overall acceleration and top end speed on the street but also have the power and torque to off road with. I was looking at this chip Superchips 438753 - Superchips® TrailDash for 98-10 Jeep® Wrangler TJ, JK, TJ Unlimited & Unlimited JK with 3.8/4.0L - Quadratec but seems over complicated thanks in advance and any input or suggestions. Also want to know what you rocking so I can borrow some ideas thanks again
Old 05-09-2013, 06:27 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From what I've read from others, you're not really gonna squeeze much "feelable" acceleration or performance gains without a supercharger or turbo. Sure if you add the works (chips, intake, headers, exhaust) together, you may feel a difference. But the costs for all that for a small gain doesn't seem worth it in my opinion, but some people have money to burn I'd love to add a cold air intake just cuz they sound awesome, but I don't know if I like the vulnerability to water or the price.

Not sure what you're looking for sound wise, but i just have a flowmaster super 10 ($60) welded on with no resonator (2012-13 have resonator under driver seat). It's about as aggressive as it gets not everyone's cup of tea

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ql8pal44hh...2015.37.56.mov

Last edited by kh202; 05-09-2013 at 06:37 AM.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:33 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off Congrats on owning a Jeep and welcome to the forum. You will find all the information needed right here.

The 1st question we have would be do you plan on wheeling this at all? If so you want to stay away from an intake kit. Since you are an engine builder I am sure you know what water can do to an engine.

As far as bolt on performance in the JK you really will not get much. Yes everything helps but you won't feel rewarded as much as you will with a sports car. If you are looking for sound then installing an after market exhaust is the way to go. Again if you plan on wheeling then looks are not your priority. A tail pipe can be very vulnerable on the trails. If you do not plan on wheeling then you will be happy with the exhaust you mentioned. Other options are MBRP. We have the offroad version which relocates the muffler and keeps it our of harms way.

Options such as headers and high flow cats are available as well. RIPP makes an excellent set of headers that really wake these things up. The headers and cats by RIPP alone make these things sound like a monster.

If you want big power RIPP as well as other companies out there make bolt on supercharger kits as well.

Superchips is a great option as it allows you to perform calibrations to the software to compensate for different changes you made.

If you would like any quotes or have any questions feel free to PM us.

Last edited by Smashboogie 4x4; 05-09-2013 at 06:36 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

tuner, Sprintbooster,gears, Ripp Headers, Supercharger or turbo charger, and engine swap will all work. I listed them for you in order of lowest gain to highest gain which also is lowest cost to highest cost.

Don't waste your money on an intake or exhaust unless you are doing an engine swap or forced induction
Old 05-11-2013, 06:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Superchips is best bag for the buck, re gear the diffs for the appropriate tire size you choose to run and that's about all you can do other then a turbo or supercharger kit.
As already mentioned TB spacers are a gimmick and don't work on multiport injection and due to the efficiency of the air intake system from factory a CAI won't add any more. I biggest danger of the CAI is water ingestion. A snorkel is best if you want a CAI.
Very little gain if any from an exhaust system. Removing the factory muffler and mounting a Flowmaster Super44 underbelly will do the same.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

For the money, a tuner is a great place to start. Forced induction and a regear will yield the biggest performance improvements, but everything else will give subtle gains.

Quick Reply: Looking for Performance Advice.