Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Looking for opinions on tire psi

Old 09-13-2016, 02:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
With all due respect to the members of this forum--and we have some really sharp ones!--I'd say trust the engineers who designed the tires on this one. You can go through the complex calculations they used, or just use the chalk test with cold tires. After that, don't worry about it. The engineers took Charles' Law into consideration when they designed your tires and set the limits on pressure.
Yeah I'd agree if I ran stock 32" tires. I kept those babies at 35-37 cold. I monitor them almost to much but I'm shooting for the "perfect" mpg/ride quality/tread wear. I learned a lot from members on the forums and take their advice (suggestions) along with my own experiences. I'll try and lower alittle lower and see if I like the ride and of course check the psi
Old 09-13-2016, 09:37 PM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
With all due respect to the members of this forum--and we have some really sharp ones!--I'd say trust the engineers who designed the tires on this one. You can go through the complex calculations they used, or just use the chalk test with cold tires. After that, don't worry about it. The engineers took Charles' Law into consideration when they designed your tires and set the limits on pressure.
Unfortunately no tire design engineers have ever seemed to chime in on these threads. They didn't test the tires in anything other than an OEM or Max Load situation. I am not running the door jam pressure on my 37s, they'd be hard as a rock. A good starting point could be to take the OEM LB/PSI ratio of the tire at the given psi from Jeep and use it to reflect in your application. From there add psi as you've added weight to the Jeep. That puts my 37s around 25psi, I run them at 27psi and the ride is perfect, and the tires hit 29-30 when hot and wear evenly.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Chalk test. Everyone else's answer is going to be wrong (or very likely wrong) for your vehicle. What pressure you run at is influenced by the weight of your vehicle and the width of your rim. Chalk test.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've run my 35" km2's between 27-30psi for the life of the tires and I rotate them every 3-5k miles. I currently have 67k miles on them with a good bit of treadlife still to go.
Old 09-20-2016, 02:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jedg
Chalk test. Everyone else's answer is going to be wrong (or very likely wrong) for your vehicle. What pressure you run at is influenced by the weight of your vehicle and the width of your rim. Chalk test.
I did just that and ended settling on 26 psi cold. Seem to be smoother on the bumps for a solid axle. I used the AEV procal to adjust so no more idiot light. Now I need to get this thing on the trails. Thanx again forum members!

Quick Reply: Looking for opinions on tire psi