Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Looking for long term experience with any problems related to 35's

Old 08-25-2011, 09:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problems with 35s

If you are using light weight aftermarket rims ie: procomp has some 16 lb rims, then your 35s wont be too bad on your JK. problem solved
Old 08-25-2011, 09:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jhol111964
Wow. I've got 32"s and 3.21's. I can't imagine taller tires without re-gearing. As it is, 6th gear is useless with my top and doors off, as it won't pull even a slight grade without downshifting. Its really odd that some folks can run tall tires and 3.21's, while others can't. Engine tuning? Elevation? Secret sauce?
Secret sauce, HA!! I've got a snorkel, K&N drop and a viper throttle body, but I don't know if any of that reall helps. The first time I drove it with the bigger tires I thought, shit, this is totally not going to work. But I think I got used to it. 4 low on ANY trail is used though, and yes, 6th gear is rarely used, and highway passing takes some careful planning. But I just bought a house, so money it kinda tight. Plus, look at all the money your gonna put into a D30 to make it so-so, why not just swap it out??

Thats my theory anyway
Old 08-25-2011, 09:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by limagroup
So basically, I have a 2.5 coil lift, with 33's I believe I can clear the 35's. So what your saying is I can run 35's pretty long term with no upgrades as a dd and be OK. (I will eventfully regear to 5.13, automatic)

Thanks for your input
"Long Term" is kind of subjective and will depend how and where it's driven I suppose.

I'm not very familiar with the TC 2.5 coil lift, but I imagine it would clear your 35's with no issues. This is assuming you are not taking it offroad as you mentioned, as a certain degree of articluation would potentially cause your tires to come in contact with your fenders, bumpers, pinch seam, etc. I only have 3" of lift and haven't had any clearance issues offroad and articulating, however, I've installed the correct bumpstops, brake lines, etc.

33's to 35's...you're only talking and inch or so of added height depending on the tire selection in comparison to your current nominal height. get a Superchips though, that's my recommendation.

go for it.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:59 AM
JK Super Freak

The only thing thats considered a "necessity" by many with 35's is C-Gussets as your axle C's can bow in. Everything else will be nice to have, but for light wheeling i feel would be overkill. I myself having just moved up to 35's will be getting the Evo sleeves and gussets when the wife gets paid. It was a toss up between the EVO and the Tera-Flex ones, but in the end I went with the Evo. Aside from that, you shouldnt have too many problems, granted thing can always break. Getting a little to carried away with the skinny pedal can leave you with some broke axle shafts while wheeling. Eventually I'll get everything done, after all, someone has to keep the economy alive.

Oh and I run my 35's with a budget boost with no problem.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:07 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks, I think I will go 35's and later go with c gussets, it seems like I can for a while without any crazy upgrades except for re gearing.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:09 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by limagroup
Thanks, I think I will go 35's and later go with c gussets, it seems like I can for a while without any crazy upgrades except for re gearing.
You really should gusset the axle before or right after going to 35's. Its the first upgrade I would do anyways. Its cheap and easy insurance.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:08 AM
JK Newbie

Dont forget a rear tire carrier...

Quick Reply: Looking for long term experience with any problems related to 35's