Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Looking for Lift & Tire recommendations

Old 06-10-2008, 05:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for Lift & Tire recommendations

Hello everyone...

I spent the morning reading through all this and couldn't find the answer I was looking for.

I'm new to the jeep family... and would like to get rid of the stock set-up and put on new tires/wheels. This car is my daily driver... so I'm not looking to stiffen the ride as I'm a blue mooner on the trails (but I'm sure I'll go more once I start going).

Here's my question;
Was thinking of lifting it only 2½" as I have several small kids. What set-up would you recommend and what tires work well (33's?) that are not too loud / won't wear extremely fast.

Thanks!
Old 06-10-2008, 05:43 AM
JK Freak

Teraflex 2.5" budget boost is about as cheap as you'll get, and has been installed by countless numbers on this site. Good quality, easy to install.

33" tires are really your call. If it's not that much on a trail, probably stay with All Terrains. Are you in a Sahara, X, or Rubi now? The Sahara has 32" OEM tires, and the Rubi has 31" (I think). Both are AT's, but the Rubi's are more aggressive. Plenty of people have abandoned the OEM setup, so you can find a great deal on a set of either of these if money is an object.

Tires are really your preference though. The newer AT's with fairly aggressive tread are easily getting closer to 40k miles and up with the air pressure kept firm and on road driving. It comes down to what you want to spend and what look you want.

PS...be ready for TONS of opinions.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pablocabo
Hello everyone...

I spent the morning reading through all this and couldn't find the answer I was looking for.

I'm new to the jeep family... and would like to get rid of the stock set-up and put on new tires/wheels. This car is my daily driver... so I'm not looking to stiffen the ride as I'm a blue mooner on the trails (but I'm sure I'll go more once I start going).

Here's my question;
Was thinking of lifting it only 2½" as I have several small kids. What set-up would you recommend and what tires work well (33's?) that are not too loud / won't wear extremely fast.

Thanks!
My Teralex 2.5 BB thats for sale would be perfect. (sorry for the plug) but seriously its the most economical way to lift, look nice and give you the support you need for your occasional off road trip.

My 35's for sale (another plug) would look good as well. But seriously go with 33's or 34's unless you want to worry about gearing/occasional rubbing and all the other stuff that goes with tires that big.

Its really up to you. What do you want to do with it? How big do you want it to be? Are you going to go 2.5, see a buddy's Jeep and realize you want to go bigger? Listen, take it from experience, Ive redone my Jeep 3 times now since Septmeber. I can PM you a link to my Jeep Progression page on myspace so you can see how it went. I started with a 2.5 and 33's, wasnt big enough, added a 1" body lift and 35's, wasnt big enough, took off the Teraflex BB and added (this past weekend) a Full Traction Ultimate lift, Toyo MT's and new ProComps, still not big enough, so I took it to the shop yesterday and am having new 5" springs put on to add another inch on top of that.

Thats just me though. Im kind of hard to please and usually GO WAY OVERBOARD when i start something. Hence why my wife is so pissed. I also get bored really easy and why I have a girlfriend too (just kidding). This Jeep has just become an addiction to me and seeing another one bigger or badder than mine only fuels the fire. Not that mine has to be the best because its not, its just in my head kind of thing
Old 06-10-2008, 05:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the terra flex BB lift and BFG MT's. I have 35's and would advise on a 4dr to go with the 35's you will be disapointed with 33's and a lift. The jeep is my daily driver also and I love this set up. I have a 1 yr old and she loves it too. These tires make noise, but are not to bad. A lot quiter than some other MT's I have had in the past on other rigs. I feel this set up is very capable for the trail. Only times I have had any trouble was in some gumbo mud and the only solution to that is to stay out of it.

If you are going to put a new bumper and winch on the front I would suggest an additional 3/4" spacer to help with the rake.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Oh and to add to that. Like the previous post said I wasnt happy with the 33's on mine. I like the look of 34's/35's on a 4 door.

If you want an aggressive looking tire but not pay the price of an MT tire look at the Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ's. I had them in 33's and Ive had them in 35's the ones I just pulled off. They are awesome! Very quiet compared to a MT tire, excellent wet weather tire, supposed to be an excellent snow tire and I can tell you from experience nothing will beat them in the sand.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:59 AM
JK Newbie

sorry... should have included more info... I have a Sahara 4dr. straight with the OEM set-up. I talked to a guy a few minutes ago and am leaning about from a BB set-up (that's just giving me the same suspension) and going with an aftermarket lift and new wheels/tires. I have money for this... just don't need to go crazy.

I"m in Real Estate... so although it's my daily driver, I can't get to crazy with it and drive clients around (that was my concern on the ride after I did a lift). The guy told me that the ride would actually soften from the OEM set-up).

Thanks for the quick reply.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:05 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can truly understand the posts above, but the thing is that pablocabo is probably looking for an easy answer ,like a teraflex bb with 33 at's will be great. my point is that you have to experience the bug on your own. I wished someone would have warned me of some of the things I did or bought.......oh wait, they did.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by robin
I can truly understand the posts above, but the thing is that pablocabo is probably looking for an easy answer ,like a teraflex bb with 33 at's will be great. my point is that you have to experience the bug on your own. I wished someone would have warned me of some of the things I did or bought.......oh wait, they did.
I wish someone would have warned me about all the money! 3 tries and about 15K later...

Sorry to hijack the thread. Oh and for my rant a few posts above. lol
Old 06-10-2008, 06:18 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rooster5333
I wish someone would have warned me about all the money! 3 tries and about 15K later...

Sorry to hijack the thread. Oh and for my rant a few posts above. lol
I hear you rooster we are all on the same boat.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

TF 2.5"BB, BFG A/T's (285/75/16) & AEV Bridger wheels. Can be done for right around $2k.

Last edited by ursandal; 06-10-2008 at 08:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Looking for Lift & Tire recommendations