Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Looking for lift/boost advice

Old 06-26-2013, 04:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was in the same decision making process a while ago.

Really say good bye to the 18" Sahara wheels. It's hard as you paid for them. Post them you will sell them. Choices or tires in this size are limited and costly and depending on what tires you select you would also need wheel spacers.

I chose the rugged ridge for their looks back spacing and they are hub centric oh and 17" x 9"

Sounds like you are totally honest with yourself with the use of your jeep...and that's key to your selection. On that note you may wish to look at the Terraflex level kit. 2" in the front 1" out back.
Very cost effective, easy install and it really impressed me how little made a big change

Next you need to decide on tires it's not easy keep reading post here and ask question then do it and smile every time you see your jeep
Old 06-26-2013, 05:50 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by webejeepin
I was in the same decision making process a while ago.

Really say good bye to the 18" Sahara wheels. It's hard as you paid for them. Post them you will sell them. Choices or tires in this size are limited and costly and depending on what tires you select you would also need wheel spacers.

I chose the rugged ridge for their looks back spacing and they are hub centric oh and 17" x 9"

Sounds like you are totally honest with yourself with the use of your jeep...and that's key to your selection. On that note you may wish to look at the Terraflex level kit. 2" in the front 1" out back.
Very cost effective, easy install and it really impressed me how little made a big change

Next you need to decide on tires it's not easy keep reading post here and ask question then do it and smile every time you see your jeep
Any pics of your set up? The tire I want are the nitto trail grabbers - they are 1700 for 5 so I suppose I should consider some other wheels.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Rooooney

Any pics of your set up? The tire I want are the nitto trail grabbers - they are 1700 for 5 so I suppose I should consider some other wheels.
I'm on my phone....let me see if I can figure out the picture up load thing...
In the mean time there's a thread here called show your leveling kit. TF AEV are common kits....tons on posts there

I decided on Mickey Thompson ATZ 33x11.5x17...very happy. Aggressive looks, nice hum on the highway (not at howl) tons of compliments....and I hear good tread life....only have 6000km on them
Old 06-29-2013, 11:39 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by webejeepin
I'm leaning towards this leveling kit, did you get the spaces or the coil kit? I'm leaning towards the coils. Does it still ride well on the highway?
Old 06-29-2013, 02:19 PM
JK Newbie

Here is a pic of my 2010 JKU with the TF 2.5" BB lift and Rancho 7000 shocks. I was debating going with bigger tires on my stock wheels but was able to get new wheels and tires for the same price that it was going to cost me just for tires for a 17" rim. I got 15x8" tracker wheels from Discount Tire and Goodyear 33x12.5x15 Duratrac tires. My local Discount Tire matched the Discount Tire Direct online price of $1500 otd (all 5), plus I got ~$120 in mail in rebates. The ride is very smooth and the tires are pretty quiet.

eta: Because I went with 33s I did not have to regear and the wheel set up did not require spacers due to the back spacing on the wheel. I was also able to put the lift in myself pretty easily with a friend.

Click image for larger version

Name:	JeepJK.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	473068

Last edited by NM_JK; 06-29-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:41 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

If all you are looking for is a rig that looks nicer by being lifted with bigger tires then some flat fenders would be in order. It will give your jeep the look of a 4" lift without touching the suspension and will allow you to run 35" tires with spacers. I would agree with looking at a 16" or 17" tire with a bs of 4.5". With flats the most you really would want to do with the suspension is a 3/4" spacer from synergy $20 for the front.

With the automatic you are not going to like the performance from the an increase in tires as the factory gearing is bad for the factory sized wheels. Your tires are actually a 31" in the real world when mounted. Is it worth to re-gear for 33" tires? No. Just live with the shitty performance.

The teraflex kit you mentioned would also be fine for what you are doing as well. There really no best when it comes to a spacer lift, they are all about the same unless you are talking about the jks ACOS pro. That is the best spacer lift out there for the JK.

Quick Reply: Looking for lift/boost advice