Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Looking for info on Kilby skids

Old 08-10-2010, 01:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for info on Kilby skids

Can anyone who has run the engine/tranny skids give me some info on how they have held up? Instilation issues if any?
I've seen a few posts of people that have picked them up, but nothing really on how they've lasted or how durable they are.
I might be able to pick one or both of these up on a good deal..

As a runner up I'm also considering the River Raiders. Bit more expensive but I like that you can piece skids together (if you can't afford the full system at once) piece by piece.

I have seen first hand that the Treks are good, but don't like the fact that you need their Belly skid already installed to be able to run the engine skid ...

Kilby users, let me know what you got.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:18 AM
JK Super Freak

no one has anything on these?
Old 08-11-2010, 09:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

I know a couple guys in So Cal running the kilby skids. No issues that i know of. Seem plenty sturdy for the lack of driving skill they have and beating on them.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Thanks Sludge,
anyone else got info on these? I guess Kilby is closing their doors this weekend, so I'm trying to get get my mind made up asap if I do want to put an order in for their engine skid or not..
$250 for that skid seems like a pretty good price!
Old 08-11-2010, 10:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think I saw somewhere that they were closing shop. Could be wrong, but if not you should be able to pick them up pretty cheap.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hey Whiskey! Any update? I am looking into these skids also as it looks like Kilby is back in business.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:01 AM
JK Newbie

Kilby's didn't close, they sold to a new person. Chris is the gent to talk to there and is a great guy. After bit of research I am saving my $$ for a set and you can buy the engine skid first and the belly and wings later. Tell him Pastor Mark sent ya.

I did a bit of searching on them, and River Raiders. I found 0 complaints with the Kilbys. But multiple negitive comments about the attachment bolts on the Raiders comming loose and the bushings not holding up.

Cheers!
Mark
Old 12-11-2010, 06:13 AM
JK Freak

Why wait, I got River Raider Oil Pan and Trans skid within 4 days of ordering and they were an pretty easy install in comparison to the directions I saw on Kilby's page. Just a thought
Old 12-11-2010, 07:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Kilby Skids

I have an 08 Rubicon and I installed the engine, transfer case skid. I bought the side wings but had to remove them when I lifted it. They only work with a stock suspension. Also worth noting is that if you have a R/E lift the holes won't line up. If you tell them you have a R/E lift, they have the prints to make it work. They did mine. I shipped it back and they reworked them. All it cost was shipping. Great customer service. To your question of holding up, mine are fine. Slid over some nasty rocks and only put some light scratches in them. I also have their air system along with the evap relocation kit. I like their products.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Just to update everyone - I did end up going with River Raider. After comparing the coverage and price of the full system it outweighed the Kilby for me.
Installed them about 2 months ago now and have already heard and felt them being used. Quality skids! Got mine bare metal and bedlined them. Install instructions were something else to be desired for, but I did get them on with some help. Only real 'problem' was one of the hangers for the gas tank skid had to be bent out about 1/2" because it would not fit around the stock gas skid. I would definitely recommend them still though! $800 shipped to MA from PA and I am fully covered front to rear.

Quick Reply: Looking for info on Kilby skids