Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Looking for flat fenders

Old 12-01-2015, 05:51 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by RogueJK13
If I remember correctly, the Mopar flares are rebranded Bushwackers
Originally Posted by carlojp
I also heard that Mopar flares are just rebranded Bushwackers and marked up. Can anyone confirm this?
yes and no.
These yes. Both sold by bw and mopar.

These no made by bw but only sold via mopar.
Jeep Wrangler Wheel Flares (Part No: 77072341AB)
Old 12-02-2015, 06:36 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please stay away from the Bushwacker plastic flats...

A ton of people told me to go with metal and not the plastic, but I got the plastic ones..,

Well the first time I did any off-road where I brushed up against something on the trail the fenders started to separate where they mount

I wound up using drywall screws to hold them on until I could swap them for metal ones

I went with the poison spyder ones and the first time out it was early in the season and muddy

On a hill climb I bounced off a tree with the front right fender and when I got out and looked at it and there wasn't even a scratch

Matthew
Old 12-02-2015, 07:27 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly, if you want that look then keep your stock fenders, it looks good.

If you are going to use fenders as armour then don't get a plastic fender. Get a quality metal fender designed to take a hit without crumpling your tub.

I run chopped stock fenders; it looks good, it's free & when they hit something no damage is done to the jeep. You break a few clips, you scratch up the fender but you keep driving and think nothing of it. I don't ever see myself buying fenders but I also have a rear rub rail welded to my skins to keep my 4 door safe.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
Please stay away from the Bushwacker plastic flats... A ton of people told me to go with metal and not the plastic, but I got the plastic ones.., Well the first time I did any off-road where I brushed up against something on the trail the fenders started to separate where they mount I wound up using drywall screws to hold them on until I could swap them for metal ones I went with the poison spyder ones and the first time out it was early in the season and muddy On a hill climb I bounced off a tree with the front right fender and when I got out and looked at it and there wasn't even a scratch Matthew
interesting. I'd been advised to lean toward the plastics as opposed the metal ones. The philosophy being that platinum would give before metal, sort of a breaker or fuse on a physical level. Personally, I was thinking the aluminum poison spiders would be best. I don't wheel that hard, I'd like the clearance without the weight.

Thanks for the input!

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 12-03-2015, 03:09 AM
DaK
JK Enthusiast

Have the genright fenders, very similar to the PS units. They don't come down in the front. Had a bumper similar to your when I first went this route. Had to trim the bumper due to the 37's rubbing on it. Not only that, IMO, stubbies look better with the high flares.

Nice paint protection. Appears the installer put on a nice even coat but forgot to mask up the headlights. LOL...
Old 12-03-2015, 04:51 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildschwein
interesting. I'd been advised to lean toward the plastics as opposed the metal ones. The philosophy being that platinum would give before metal, sort of a breaker or fuse on a physical level. Personally, I was thinking the aluminum poison spiders would be best. I don't wheel that hard, I'd like the clearance without the weight.

Thanks for the input!

I have been against trees with mine and no issues. Mine are solid much more so than stock flares. you could sit on my BW and they would not come off. I took my time and installed them correctly. I have read both sides of the argument. Mine have served me well. I don't race KOH but I wheel a fair amount ie Moab a couple times a year, did the Rubicon trail, colo and lots of local stuff in Montana. sure if you bash into something at speed you will have issues but going slow you can rub on trees/rocks with no issues.

Last edited by jadmt; 12-03-2015 at 04:58 AM.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DaK
Have the genright fenders, very similar to the PS units. They don't come down in the front. Had a bumper similar to your when I first went this route. Had to trim the bumper due to the 37's rubbing on it. Not only that, IMO, stubbies look better with the high flares. Nice paint protection. Appears the installer put on a nice even coat but forgot to mask up the headlights. LOL...
I'll take a look at them, thanks. Ill probably stay at 35's, probably and I really don't want to go stubby. Something. About a big sturdy bumper up front that just makes me feel safe.

As for the paint-pro, ya, that UT mud really does the trick.

Old 12-08-2015, 09:33 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,927 Likes on 1,686 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
Please stay away from the Bushwacker plastic flats...

A ton of people told me to go with metal and not the plastic, but I got the plastic ones..,

Well the first time I did any off-road where I brushed up against something on the trail the fenders started to separate where they mount

Matthew
I would agree here. I went with the plastic BW to save some weight and some money, and i regret it. In the rear I simply slid by a tree in a tight squeeze one time, and due to how these mount i put a nice dent in my rear quarter because of where the pressure was distributed. I've also bent one of the front ones by getting caught on a tree. Any time you exert too much pressure on these lots of plastic clips are gonna snap as they are the weak point, and you'll spend a lot of time trying to fix the pieces of junk. If you actually wheel, do it right the first time and get something that is metal.

Last edited by resharp001; 12-08-2015 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Corrected Typo
Old 12-08-2015, 10:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by resharp001
I would agree here. I went with the plastic BW to save some weight and some money, and i regret it. In the rear I simply slid by a tree in a tight squeeze one time, and due to how these mount i put a nice dent in my rear quarter because of where the pressure was distributed. I've also bent on of the front ones by getting caught on a tree. if you actually wheel, do it right the first time and get something that is metal.
good info from both! I think I'm going to go with the aluminum flares when I get around to it. Thanks for the input!

Old 12-08-2015, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Yeah... I have the BW flat fenders... they are nice, but if I had it to do again, I would just cut the OEM fenders and be done with it. A buddy of mind had his quarter panel pushed in when his rear fender bumped a tree. This was at walking speed, the rear slipped off the rock it was on and shifted into the tree. Had he been running cut fenders, the fender would have flexed and that would have been the end of it.

I keep them on because they are an xmas present.

Quick Reply: Looking for flat fenders