Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Looking for a Custom Exhaust Shop in the Clarkston/Waterford MI area

Old 08-22-2013, 11:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a Custom Exhaust Shop in the Clarkston/Waterford MI area

Howdy fellow Jeepers. As the title of this thread indicates, I'm looking for a custom exhaust shop in the Clarkston/Waterford Michigan area. I'm going to put on an after-market cat-back exhaust, so I'd like to know if anyone on JK Forum has had any experience in this area around where I live. I don't mind driving out of the Clarkston/Waterford area but I'd like to drive as short as possible for quality and fair work. I have yet to purchase the exhaust as I'm still researching the available options out there. That's one of the best things about the internet is that it has improved customer service at a lot of places because people will usually be brutally honest after having any work done by companies, and that there is such a large selection of parts available with prices and reviews from buyers. I've read that quite a few off-roaders like Magnaflow exhausts. Their exhausts are a bit on the pricier side, which I don't mind if I get what I want. I'd like to pick up a little boost in HP while at the same time making my 2013 Sport sound as much like a V-8 as possible. Most of the exhausts I've heard, on You-Tube usually, sound more like a kid's tuner car (rice-grinder type vehicle) or sports car. The one that has impressed me most as far as sound was a Gibson Dual Exhaust, I believe. I guess the sport's car sound is the closest you can get with the Jeep's 3.6L, unless anyone on here knows something I don't. I's like to keep the price down as much as possible (of course, who wouldn't?) since I know buying a big-name brand's not always worth it. I put a Corsa cat-back on a 2007 Unlimited that I traded in on this one and I didn't care for the sound at all. It sounded like the aforementioned tuner car and that exhaust set me back quite a bit. Since I have chrome American Racing rims I'll want chrome tips, too. I used to do this kind of stuff myself when I was younger but I screwed my back up on active duty so I can't do any type of physical labor. Any help with a trust-worthy shop and any rec's on brand (and model # if possible) would be greatly appreciated. I'll keep checking back to see if anyone's able to help me out. Thanks.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:07 PM
JK Freak

Back when I lived in Farmington I would use Barry's.

30680 Grand River Ave, Farmington

He is a general mechanic but I trusted him with my clasic corvet and his rates are on the lower side for the area. He was always OK with my carrying in my own parts too, some places want you to buy the parts from them.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:23 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any decent exhaust/mechanic shop will have no issue installing a cat-back system for your JKU. These are really a straight forward install and I would suggest doing it yourself, but with your back injuries that is out (thanks for your service!) . Check out our systems too. We offer the most systems for the JK platform and have the best warranty/guarantee out there! Good luck in your search.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:39 AM
JK Newbie

Default Thanks man

Originally Posted by JKbender
Back when I lived in Farmington I would use Barry's.

30680 Grand River Ave, Farmington

He is a general mechanic but I trusted him with my clasic corvet and his rates are on the lower side for the area. He was always OK with my carrying in my own parts too, some places want you to buy the parts from them.
I appreciate the response. I'll check him out.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:41 AM
JK Newbie

Default Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by Dynomax
Any decent exhaust/mechanic shop will have no issue installing a cat-back system for your JKU. These are really a straight forward install and I would suggest doing it yourself, but with your back injuries that is out (thanks for your service!) . Check out our systems too. We offer the most systems for the JK platform and have the best warranty/guarantee out there! Good luck in your search.
Actually, another exhaust I saw on YouTube that I liked was the Dynomax VT and the Dynomax catback w/dual exhausts.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JAHII
Actually, another exhaust I saw on YouTube that I liked was the Dynomax VT and the Dynomax catback w/dual exhausts.
Go with the Dynomax Rock Crawler I love mine, sounds great and no drone! Exits before the rear axle. I like the look of it being tucked away.

Best of luck!

IMPO stay away from the dual.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JAHII
If you are going for strictly better sound, I'd steer more toward's Dynomax's Rock Crawler kit instead of the VT, but that's my own personal preference. I have had both installed on my Jeep.

Plus you have 90 days to decide if you want to keep it or not, Dynomax is awesome in that regard!

Originally Posted by Killfoot1775
Go with the Dynomax Rock Crawler I love mine, sounds great and no drone! Exits before the rear axle. I like the look of it being tucked away.

Best of luck!

The Rock Crawler ultra flow muffler system is the full cat back that exits after the axle.

The system that exits before the axle is the EVO kit.
Also, from what I understood, they do not recommend this kit on a 2 door due to it possibly melting the emergency cable.

Dynomax can clear up any questions about either kit.

Last edited by Namtaru; 08-23-2013 at 06:30 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:23 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Namtaru
If you are going for strictly better sound, I'd steer more toward's Dynomax's Rock Crawler kit instead of the VT, but that's my own personal preference. I have had both installed on my Jeep.

Plus you have 90 days to decide if you want to keep it or not, Dynomax is awesome in that regard!

The Rock Crawler ultra flow muffler system is the full cat back that exits after the axle.

The system that exits before the axle is the EVO kit.
Also, from what I understood, they do not recommend this kit on a 2 door due to it possibly melting the emergency cable.

Dynomax can clear up any questions about either kit.
This is true if a cut isn't made to the system for the 2 door. Many have made this work on a 2 door. The "official" stance is it won't fit. But Jeepers are known to modify.
Good question.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Muffler Man on Dixie Hwy. near Scott Lk. Rd. was known for custom work. It been a while for me though.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:16 AM
JK Newbie

Default Thanks for the response.

Originally Posted by Killfoot1775

Best of luck!

I'll have to check out the Rock Crawler. Do you mind if I ask why you say to stay away from a dual exit? My Jeep is kinda throwback in that I love chrome and one of the things I was thinking about were chromed tips. I don't really do any hardcore wheeling anymore so I don't foresee rock crawling in my future. Usually just trails and sometimes I go up to the Silver Lake sand dunes. Mostly I'd like a little bump in horsepower and as close to a V-8 burble as I can get.

Quick Reply: Looking for a Custom Exhaust Shop in the Clarkston/Waterford MI area