Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lookin For More Juice

Old 05-17-2010, 09:04 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't quite understand why so many yearn for more power and so many are reluctant to change the gears.

The JK gearing is too low from the factory to improve gas mileage and then many of us add larger tires and weight to make matters even worse.

Imagine always being forced to drive in 1-2 gears higher than you would prefer (e.g. Start from stop in 2nd or 3rd; reving your engine to buld enough torque before you release the clutch or the torque converter engages). That is what it is like to drive gearing that is too high.

Those that regear are very satisfied. Planman even ran a survey of JK owners that regeared with virtually 100% satisfaction.

If $$$ is the issue it's understandable. But if it's not
Old 05-17-2010, 09:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too have been thinking about new gears for my 6speed four door currently running 3.72 gears. Planning on stepping up to 33in tires and no bigger. Been reading and searching for good info or suggestions. How far to go without going too far?
Old 05-18-2010, 08:27 AM
JK Super Freak

The power increase from the gears is really simple to visualize when you look at this chart.

Look at the blue lines only. Notice that when you increase your RPM you increase Horsepower (in an almost a straight line), and also increase Torque. When you add gears you are increasing your RPM, so you increase both HP and Torque - no magic involved. Based on your old gear ratio and you new one, the amount of HP you gain can be substantial.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am going to say for a simple answer yes gears are a very good way to go, I plan on 5.13's as soon as I can. There are many ways to get the extra power,Hmei sounds like one of the best with the RIPP S/C being another. I plan sometime in the future, transplanting a Cummins 4BT in my JK. I am not sure when this will happen but it will happen as soon as I get the Gears and a few other big mods out of the way. JOE>
Old 05-18-2010, 08:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mwbmorley
I have had nothing but great success with the Superchips Jeep Flashpaq. I have it set to the 91 Octane Performance setting and it is AWESOME. The only problem (and I have sent in a ticket to Superchips Tech Support) is that the compass only reads "SE" even when I am facing due North. But I figure that when they come back with a fix that will free up another 2 HP. HAHA!!
Just wondering if you drove in tight circles at low speed to calibrate your compass? If I remember 3 or 4 turns at about 5 mph and then the compass flashes a few times and is set.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

gears and Supercharger or Hemi....speed, and towing on hills! Did it to mine and havent looked back.

Quick Reply: Lookin For More Juice