Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lookin For More Juice

Old 05-17-2010, 08:17 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by You Jeep
S/C or Hemi for more power.

Is that a Rubicon or a Sahara? I notice you have Sahara steps.

You are the third person to mention that since I have had it. It scared the hell out of me after the first person said that since I am new to the Jeep world and I bought it second hand. At first I thought the guy had lied to me about it really being a Rubicon but I have since verified the VIN and everything pops up Rubicon. The previous owners didn't mention anything about getting the steps special, but maybe they just ordered the vehicle that way.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:09 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ry-A-Conn
You are the third person to mention that since I have had it. It scared the hell out of me after the first person said that since I am new to the Jeep world and I bought it second hand. At first I thought the guy had lied to me about it really being a Rubicon but I have since verified the VIN and everything pops up Rubicon. The previous owners didn't mention anything about getting the steps special, but maybe they just ordered the vehicle that way.
Oh OK, I just knew that Rubi's have factory rock rails standard. Was just curious...
Old 05-17-2010, 02:55 PM
JK Freak

Not trying hijack but I've thought about regearing but have kinda backed away bc I'm worried with the higher gear other components might fail due to rotating a lot faster..is this me being a worry wart or is it an actual problem.. I've seen on here of how peoples transfer cases have exploded on the highway and was wondering if it was due to the gears..
Old 05-17-2010, 03:36 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by crazyhorse02
Not trying hijack but I've thought about regearing but have kinda backed away bc I'm worried with the higher gear other components might fail due to rotating a lot faster..is this me being a worry wart or is it an actual problem.. I've seen on here of how peoples transfer cases have exploded on the highway and was wondering if it was due to the gears..
Not the gears directly.
They were from front drive shaft vibration.
Regearing did raise the rpm to a critical point, but it is usually a lifted JK, with an excessive front pinion angle, coupled with a double cardan joint at the T-case.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by crazyhorse02
...I'm worried with the higher gear other components might fail due to rotating a lot faster...
I have 5.38s and an automatic. The easy way to think about the “rotating faster” issue is to add 15 mph to your speedo when driving in OD and consider if that should be an issue. In other words, when you’re driving on the freeway at 70 mph, the driveshaft is running at close to stock (4.10s) 85 mph. I don’t think running a stock Jeep at 85 mph for extended periods of time should be an issue. Now if you want to run it on the freeway at 85 mph then it’s like 100 mph on the driveshaft. Could that be a problem if done for long periods of time?
Old 05-17-2010, 04:04 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by joe002
I have 5.38s and an automatic. The easy way to think about the “rotating faster” issue is to add 15 mph to your speedo when driving in OD and consider if that should be an issue. In other words, when you’re driving on the freeway at 70 mph, the driveshaft is running at close to stock (4.10s) 85 mph. I don’t think running a stock Jeep at 85 mph for extended periods of time should be an issue. Now if you want to run it on the freeway at 85 mph then it’s like 100 mph on the driveshaft. Could that be a problem if done for long periods of time?
well since u put it that way, i feel a lot better about it. lol.. i usually run 70-75 on the highway but the jeep is constantly chasing to find the right gear. looks like 5.13's are in the future
Old 05-17-2010, 06:09 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by mkjeep
They don't make 5.38's for the non rubi front d-30.
ahhh.........got ya
Old 05-17-2010, 07:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the install is done correctly and no vibration you will be fine, I have had 5:13's for 25,000 miles and drive 70 + all the time, no issue.

What tires are u running, I may have missed that?
Old 05-17-2010, 07:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Superchips Jeep Flashpaq

I have had nothing but great success with the Superchips Jeep Flashpaq. I have it set to the 91 Octane Performance setting and it is AWESOME. The only problem (and I have sent in a ticket to Superchips Tech Support) is that the compass only reads "SE" even when I am facing due North. But I figure that when they come back with a fix that will free up another 2 HP. HAHA!!
Old 05-17-2010, 07:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Superchips FTW!!! I run the 87 octane tune and that itself is a big improvement.

Quick Reply: Lookin For More Juice