Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Look at wires

Old 09-07-2014, 05:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Look at wires

I just had a p2181 code come up an the temp gauge stopped working. This is on an 08. So I went to change the the thermostat an temp sending unit. This is what I found when taking the hose off the thermostat. Just want to let y'all know to take a look. These wires go to the mass air flow unit.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1218014744.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	574840   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3687819559.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	574842   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1853286396.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	574843  
Old 09-07-2014, 06:36 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Matth
I just had a p2181 code come up an the temp gauge stopped working. This is on an 08. So I went to change the the thermostat an temp sending unit. This is what I found when taking the hose off the thermostat. Just want to let y'all know to take a look. These wires go to the mass air flow unit.
Thanks for posting those pics. Just check my '08 -- And the loom was barely touching/rubbing the coolant outlet, but not anymore!

Side note, the wires look to be for the electronic throttle. There's no mass air flow sensor on these engines -- Mass air flow is calculated from manifold absolute pressure, manifold air temperature, RPM, volumetric efficiency tables, and probably a few more inputs thrown in for good measure.

Old 09-07-2014, 06:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed that was starting to happen during my last oil change. I ended using a zip tie to keep it off any hot areas.

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum
Old 09-07-2014, 11:58 PM
JK Jedi Master
Veteran: Air ForceFJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

I have found several places under my hood with similar damage, including the primary alternator wire to the battery. I have been cutting off the cheap, plastic loom and replacing it with some split, high temperature stuff I buy from a local supplier. This stuff is not cheap, but you don't have to disconnect or cut wires to put it on because it's split, and it handles high temperature better than most products out there (up to 392°).

Here's the description sheet ...

http://www.aepetsche.com/english/AE-...02000%20nx.pdf

And here's where I buy it (they sell by the foot, which when you see the price you'll probably appreciate) ...

Spectro Wire and Cable: 3/16 inch roundit

There is a special tool at the first link for doing the install. I've never used that, but it is a bit of a pain to get the wire slipped into the loom. You may want to get that if you have a run of several feet that you're looking at.

Quick Reply: Look at wires