Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Longest Lasting MT - Trail Grappler, Toyo MT, or ?

Old 02-19-2016, 11:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you don't off-road and it's primarily for snow use, why not lean toward an aggressive AT? Probably better in most snow conditions.
Old 02-21-2016, 06:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Km2's with 70k+ off and on road have been great, but not good in the snow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20160221_100824.png
Views:	103
Size:	407.9 KB
ID:	638346
Old 02-21-2016, 07:09 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got 60K miles out of my Toyo MTs (35x12.50x19) with a 5 tire rotation. I moved the mover to my son's F150 and he got another 12K miles and sold all 5 for $200 and their on another truck right now. These things are a beast with mileage!

I replaced them with Toyo RTs (37x12.50x17). I have about 17K miles on them and they appear to have very little wear. I suspect I will easily get north of 60K miles. They are much smoother and quieter on the road and handle well in the little bit of snow we got this year. They also did perfectly fine at the OBX and I never even aired them down and the sand out there can be brutal.

I recommend either tire, depends on your use. I would definitely buy either but prefer the MTs for my driving/wheeling style.

Toyo RTs (new)

Toyo MTs (not new)

Old 02-21-2016, 07:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Can't speak of mileage yet as I've only had them on a week, but mastercraft mxt may be my new favorite tire. Right now in western wyoming is been relatively warm so lots of mixed melting froze snow ice mud. And as of yet I haven't needed four wheel drive once while out and about. While my 3/4 worn mtr/k's would have been mandatory as soon as I left the pavement. Just did a 1300 mile trip into Washington on them running 75+ mph by far the quietest mt I've ever run especially for how aggressive they are.
Old 02-21-2016, 03:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On my second set of Pitbull Rockers. First set I put 70,000klm on them and still had enough tread to sell them for a decent price. 50,000klm On my second set about half worn now.
A regular rotation schedule is the key to long life of an M/T tire.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:06 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by nthinuf
As new as the SST Pro is, you've had people racking up 40-50k on them?
Not yet, that was based off the life of the original STT. But tread wear was one of the improvements to the STT Pro, so I don't see any reason they won't last equally as long (if not better).
Old 02-22-2016, 06:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mook8651
Did you ever consider the nitto exo grappler. Looks to be a good tire for your area for snow and sleet. I had the trail grapplers and they are a great tire just not the best for snow

yes i have looked at that in person, just wasnt a huge fan of the pattern. The trail grappler is so aggressive looking compared to that. I think the toyo RT has a better look and is similar as it is in between the AT and MT

the cooper STT has a nice price point also, but they were knew so hadnt seen any long reviews.

Last edited by mkrx5; 02-22-2016 at 06:16 AM.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

those TOYO RTs look really nice. With the success I had with the trail grappler, I would stick with that over moving to TOYO MT, but still vetting out the cooper STT pro and the toyo RT for the other options at this point. Not sure why I just seem to navigate to TOYO and NITTO -

Originally Posted by scooby snacks
I got 60K miles out of my Toyo MTs (35x12.50x19) with a 5 tire rotation. I moved the mover to my son's F150 and he got another 12K miles and sold all 5 for $200 and their on another truck right now. These things are a beast with mileage!

I replaced them with Toyo RTs (37x12.50x17). I have about 17K miles on them and they appear to have very little wear. I suspect I will easily get north of 60K miles. They are much smoother and quieter on the road and handle well in the little bit of snow we got this year. They also did perfectly fine at the OBX and I never even aired them down and the sand out there can be brutal.

I recommend either tire, depends on your use. I would definitely buy either but prefer the MTs for my driving/wheeling style.

Toyo RTs (new)

Toyo MTs (not new)

Quick Reply: Longest Lasting MT - Trail Grappler, Toyo MT, or ?