Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Longer Springs vs ACOS

Old 05-13-2008, 06:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Longer Springs vs ACOS

Hey guys! I'm kind of wondering what the difference is between a 2-3 inch lift that uses longer springs(OME), and a 2-3 inch lift that uses spacers(TF BB). I was thinking of going with the OME lift...but then I was thinking...What if you got the JKS ACOS and then used the longer OME shocks? Would that be better? How much better or worse is longer springs than using the ACOS for the same amount of lift? Just some brain storming here. Would love some input.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:43 PM
JK Freak

I would like to think the ride would be a bit better with new coils....but i have never ran a space lift so I dunno
Old 05-13-2008, 10:02 PM
JK Freak

I have never seen a "budget boost", or spacers over 2 inches. i imiagine that is becasue you could get into spring seating problems.

A 2 inch BB is fine if you just want a little more room for larger tires, and you really don't even need longer shocks if you do not intend to go off roading a let the suspension flex. The ride will be the same as stock, since you are using, umm, stock springs...

A 3 or 4 inch lift will require springs and shocks. Be careful here as many 3 inch springs give you 4 inches of real lift, and 4 inch springs can get you 5 or more. Do your homework and get the appropriate shocks for the actual lift and not what the spring is rated for. the specific shock length is more critical if you intend to go offroading as if a shock is too long, you can pop out a spring. the shock actually is what stops your axle from drooping so low that the spring will just fall out. (ok the sway bar and control arms help, but not if your articulating off road).

New springs can change up your ride quality. I have been very happy with mine, which are 3 inch Black Diamond (Superlift) springs, which, incidentally gave me 4 inches of real lift, with Rancho 5000 shocks for a 4 inch lift. My ride is as close to stock as I think you can get. Some brands are harsher and some are mushier (is that a word?) , but here again, do some homework and you will find the answers.

This all is from experience, as I had a 2 inch bb on before I went to new springs and shocks.

I hope this helps.

Dan
Old 05-14-2008, 07:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

What about the differences between a 2 inch spacer life or a 2 inch coil spring lift? What would be the advantages of either?

Quick Reply: Longer Springs vs ACOS