Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Long travel shocks for teraflex 4"

Old 02-25-2011, 06:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long travel shocks for teraflex 4"

Hi,

I'm thinking on buying the shortarm teraflex 4" suspension kit with control arms.

I can't buy a long arm kit, because it's not road legal over here.

What I do want is Long Travel shocks and I'm thinking about ordering Bilsteins.

Can someone recommend me which ones I can use with this liftkit and has as much travel as possible?

For example, 4" teraflex with fox shocks.Click image for larger version

Name:	102_1643_2.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	130794
Old 02-25-2011, 06:44 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

why not just use the shocks that come with the teraflex kit? they are long travel shocks and works well.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
why not just use the shocks that come with the teraflex kit? they are long travel shocks and works well.
Hmm, because I hear such good stories on the fox and bilstein shocks and I assumed their travel is longer than the teraflex shocks.

Maybe I'm wrong on this?
Old 02-25-2011, 06:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

That's my rig, thanks! I like the fox because they are relatively cheap and you can adjust the amount of nitrogen in them. I run 100lbs around town and go up to 225lbs for desert running. You can go somewhere in between for trails. Buy the gauge from fox, and get a tank setup from a welding supply place.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:58 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by Dennisr
Hmm, because I hear such good stories on the fox and bilstein shocks and I assumed their travel is longer than the teraflex shocks.

Maybe I'm wrong on this?
you might want to verify what the extended and collapsed lengths of both are and, you might want to take into consideration that a shock that is too long will be a problem as it will result in the bottoming out of it.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
you might want to verify what the extended and collapsed lengths of both are and, you might want to take into consideration that a shock that is too long will be a problem as it will result in the bottoming out of it.
That's why I hope to get some answers, because there are a lot of 4" teraflex kits out there.

I cannot wait to order the liftkit first, measure the travel and then order the shocks, becaues it will take several weeks to a month before it arrives here.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:13 AM
JK-Forum Founder

That's why I hope to get some answers, because there are a lot of 4" teraflex kits out there.

I cannot wait to order the liftkit first, measure the travel and then order the shocks, becaues it will take several weeks to a month before it arrives here.
and, that's why i was recommending that you just get the TF shocks as they are specifically designed to work with their 4" lift kit which in fact yields closer to 5". trust me, i have run this kit and know this first hand. if you get an aftermarket shock, i would recommend that you match it up to the TF shocks.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just called teraflex. Fox shocks have the most travel, but it's only 0,5" more than the teraflex shocks that come with this kit. The salesguy Marc mentioned that the ride both on- and offroad would be much improved using the fox shocks.

Maybe Castalone can confirm his fox shocks have a extended lenght of 27", 16,9" compressed? Not that you need to measure, but if you have any specs?
Old 02-25-2011, 07:36 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just called teraflex. Fox shocks have the most travel, but it's only 0,5" more than the teraflex shocks that come with this kit. The salesguy Marc mentioned that the ride both on- and offroad would be much improved using the fox shocks.

Maybe Castalone can confirm his fox shocks have a extended lenght of 27", 16,9" compressed? Not that you need to measure, but if you have any specs?
Keep in mind that TeraFlex uses Fox shocks that are specifically tuned for TeraFlex suspensions. There's alot of vendors out there selling Fox shocks that are not tuned specific.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you'll get the same flex as in your picture with the TF 9500 shocks for the 4-6" lift, and they are designed for that lift, so no over extending coils and no need to worry about coil retainers. they ride great, too.

Quick Reply: Long travel shocks for teraflex 4"