Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Long term wear from "BIG" tires?

Old 11-05-2013, 05:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long term wear from "BIG" tires?

Hello, I am looking at slapping on some 35" tires this spring along with a 2.5-3" lift. Mainly highway driving, light trail and old logging roads. Likely won't be rock crawling or doing anything insane for the time being.

My question to all of the forum members is (assuming I only do lift/tires):

- Will 35" tires wear out other stock parts because of stance/height/weight change? I will buy a full lift kit that I know will come with specific parts to replace with stock for that direct application. But not sure about all other parts that will be effected by thechange.

I am assuming that the answer is yes, but reaching to for more specifics so I know what to expect down the road. Thanks in advance!
Old 11-05-2013, 05:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AHunter
Hello, I am looking at slapping on some 35" tires this spring along with a 2.5-3" lift. Mainly highway driving, light trail and old logging roads. Likely won't be rock crawling or doing anything insane for the time being.

My question to all of the forum members is (assuming I only do lift/tires):

- Will 35" tires wear out other stock parts because of stance/height/weight change? I will buy a full lift kit that I know will come with specific parts to replace with stock for that direct application. But not sure about all other parts that will be effected by thechange.

I am assuming that the answer is yes, but reaching to for more specifics so I know what to expect down the road. Thanks in advance!
Normal wear items like ball joints, TRE's, U-Joints, Driveline CV's will wear faster but that's something you can address down the road or as they wear.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks. In theory then I'd find the same type of wear with 33's just at a slower rate? I'm guessing the bigger the tire from stock, the quicker and more rapid wear of those parts?
Old 11-05-2013, 06:40 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks. In theory then I'd find the same type of wear with 33's just at a slower rate? I'm guessing the bigger the tire from stock, the quicker and more rapid wear of those parts?
You are assuming correctly.. the larger the tire the faster the wear rate... Probably has something to do with rotational weight.. bigger tires/wheels usually more weight, more strain on tie-rods to turn.. etc...
Old 11-05-2013, 10:58 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

In addition to the weight/mass, bigger tires are generally moved out farther also (less backspace or wheel spacers), so may add more stress to the front unit bearings and rear flanges.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have 3.73 gears, auto and looking at 2.5" lift. Thinking of ditching the spare to save on weight, any thoughts on how sluggish 35's will make it?
Old 11-07-2013, 06:22 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 3.73 gears, auto and looking at 2.5" lift. Thinking of ditching the spare to save on weight, any thoughts on how sluggish 35's will make it?
The weight of the spare is insignificant relative to your 4500lb Jeep and will have virtually no impact on driving characteristics. In my opinion, driving without a spare is a terrible idea.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Invest2m4

The weight of the spare is insignificant relative to your 4500lb Jeep and will have virtually no impact on driving characteristics. In my opinion, driving without a spare is a terrible idea.
X2. I have run both ways and barely noticed a difference.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:00 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
On road, I agree but offroad you can def feel the difference. When I threw my 37" and bumper on, it made it harder to get over some obstacles that I had an easier time with when the spare was just laying in the back of the JK.

Quick Reply: Long term wear from "BIG" tires?