Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Long braking with duratracs

Old 03-29-2014, 03:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long braking with duratracs

Anyone notice the braking a little longer than usual with the duratracs. I currently have 285 70 17s
Old 03-29-2014, 03:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Weight and tire size will have an affect on braking
Old 03-29-2014, 04:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^That.

Any larger tire from stock will have this affect. Unfortunately most people don't do anything about their brakes after fitting 33/35/37's.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:03 PM
JK Newbie

I do not have big tires, yet. But I had a set of hawk brake pads for my. At I sold. I could not get cash back so I exchanged them for pads for the jeep. After break in it feels like I use less force on the pedal and if I really push them it stops much better than stock. Perhaps they may help you but I do not know
Old 03-29-2014, 04:13 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by roundhouse
I do not have big tires, yet. But I had a set of hawk brake pads for my. At I sold. I could not get cash back so I exchanged them for pads for the jeep. After break in it feels like I use less force on the pedal and if I really push them it stops much better than stock. Perhaps they may help you but I do not know
Thats all you did was change the brake pads to those? How much for the hawk brake pads ?
Old 03-29-2014, 07:02 PM
Former Vendor

You can install a set of more aggressive brake pads but they will wear on the rotors faster. We like the EBC Yellow pads as they are much more "grabbier" than stock. This will decrease your stopping distance.

If you don't like the pedal feel you can change out the master cylinder for a larger one. This will make the pedal feel more firm but it will not decrease your stopping distance.

You can also install a big brake kit. I believe you have to run a 16" wheel or larger. After installing this your pedal will likely feel less firm but you will decrease your stopping distance.

If you go the route of the big brake kit you will likely want to also change out the master cylinder so your pedal feels close to stock again.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:15 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did hawk pads at all 4 corners, fronts just over a year ago and rears last summer. My fronts werent bad originally so i only felt minor improvements, but my rears were shot. I felt a nice improvement when i replaced the rears, but with 37's she feels spongy. I would like to step up my front pad/rotors soon. I understand my 16's wont clear many kits though.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:21 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Upgrading your brake hoses can help also. The rubber hoses "swell" under pressure giving the feel of soft brakes.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:50 PM
JK Newbie

Same thing again. I parked my jeep in my driveway which is a hill put the e brake on. It dropped back almost a foot and made a loud noise as if im towing something that weighs 5000 pounds. Anyway. Washed and waxed the jeep. A few hrs later. Put the e brake down and put in reverse and it just dropped back another foot. Without me letting go of the brake. And then stopped. And then in loosening my foot on the brake and its making a loud screeching noise until i get to the street. And then back to normal as i went on my way.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jellis07109
Same thing again. I parked my jeep in my driveway which is a hill put the e brake on. It dropped back almost a foot and made a loud noise as if im towing something that weighs 5000 pounds. Anyway. Washed and waxed the jeep. A few hrs later. Put the e brake down and put in reverse and it just dropped back another foot. Without me letting go of the brake. And then stopped. And then in loosening my foot on the brake and its making a loud screeching noise until i get to the street. And then back to normal as i went on my way.
This sounds like a problem that doesn't have anything to do with your tires. That would be unnerving!

Quick Reply: Long braking with duratracs