Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Long arm VS short arms on unlimited

Old 10-05-2010, 11:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like the how my rig rides with the long arm under it, just feels more stable on and off road

did I need the long arm under my JK.... well... no... but I don't really let "need" dictate what mods I do for my jeepee...

I am sure you have already considered that the long arms will cost more than just the 1k more.... when you factor in the labor and $$$ of grinding off the old mounts and welding the new ones on... unless your going to do that yourself like I did... though I did decide to have a local welding shop fix up some of my more unsightly welds with some nice pretty ones......just in case

Hope this helps a little & Good Luck with your decision
Old 10-05-2010, 01:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep in mind that long arms do offer better ride on and off-road, but they can also decrease clearance. When you drop off a shelf, for example, the long arms will contact before a short arm will. The steeper angle of the short arms gives you that extra clearance at the expense of a harsher ride.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:49 PM
Former Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MKL&L
I really like the how my rig rides with the long arm under it, just feels more stable on and off road

did I need the long arm under my JK.... well... no... but I don't really let "need" dictate what mods I do for my jeepee...

I am sure you have already considered that the long arms will cost more than just the 1k more.... when you factor in the labor and $$$ of grinding off the old mounts and welding the new ones on... unless your going to do that yourself like I did... though I did decide to have a local welding shop fix up some of my more unsightly welds with some nice pretty ones......just in case

Hope this helps a little & Good Luck with your decision
Our lift kits are complete bolt on, anyone can install them. You can weld but its not required or needed
Originally Posted by porters
Keep in mind that long arms do offer better ride on and off-road, but they can also decrease clearance. When you drop off a shelf, for example, the long arms will contact before a short arm will. The steeper angle of the short arms gives you that extra clearance at the expense of a harsher ride.
The long arms work great as sliders.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Full-Traction Suspension
The long arms work great as sliders.
Dude, you made me bust up with that one!

Best traction and control would be when the tires are in contact. If your primary focus is rock crawling, then short arms would be better as they offer just as much flex and better clearance. With the money you save you could buy a set of sliders.

Last edited by porters; 10-05-2010 at 02:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Long arm VS short arms on unlimited