Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Long arm VS short arms on unlimited

Old 10-04-2010, 05:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long arm VS short arms on unlimited

I have a 2010 rubicon unlimited and currently have on the teraflex 3" kit and all the stock arms with 37" km2s. I am planning on upgrading my control arms soon and hear alot of good things about the longarms. Are they worth the extra 1000 or so that it cost? What Would be the benefit of going with the long arms verse the full flex arms? Thanks for any help
Old 10-04-2010, 06:07 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 4drRubi
I have a 2010 rubicon unlimited and currently have on the teraflex 3" kit and all the stock arms with 37" km2s. I am planning on upgrading my control arms soon and hear alot of good things about the longarms. Are they worth the extra 1000 or so that it cost? What Would be the benefit of going with the long arms verse the full flex arms? Thanks for any help
I was at the Currie shop a month or so ago, and asked the same question. They walked me out to see one of their JKs with a 6 inch lift and a Hemi, and SHORT ARMS. The boys at Currie said not to waste the money. Long arms are nice, but not necessary on a JK for anything under 6 inches.

Not my words, Just sayin...
Old 10-04-2010, 08:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The difference is ride quality. I've run long and short arm kits and the major felt difference is ride quality. The long arms ride Oh so nice.

It was well worth the additional cost to me.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am by no means an expert! But that being said, I installed EVO long arms with my suspension and LOVE IT!!!!

Way worth the money, do it right and go for it. Many will try and convince you otherwise, because they don't have them! They make them for a reason and that reason is because ITS BETTER!.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:11 PM
Former Member

Originally Posted by KenB1010
The difference is ride quality. I've run long and short arm kits and the major felt difference is ride quality. The long arms ride Oh so nice.

It was well worth the additional cost to me.
You made a great choice on a lift too
Old 10-04-2010, 09:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Can't go wrong w/ long arms...although short arms on the Unlimiteds should be fine...
Old 10-04-2010, 09:21 PM
JK Super Freak

I was told the same thing, that there is not a lot of gain to the long arm on an unlimited because the arms are longer than other makes of jeeps. But I have felt the difference and went with a shot are. But if you wheel were there are a lot of whooped out road and you want to go fast down them, then you would love the long armed kits.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Is the ride better on road as well as off or more so on just offroad and not so much on the road?
Old 10-05-2010, 08:52 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4drRubi
Is the ride better on road as well as off or more so on just offroad and not so much on the road?
A TeraFlex long arm helps out on both on road and off road situations. Even at 3" you can feel the difference in a short arm and long arm. The taller you go with short arms, the harsher the ride and the more the handling suffers.

Take a look at this article and the images: http://www.teraflex.biz/tech/faq/sho...r-tjs-and-jks/
Old 10-05-2010, 09:33 AM
JK Junkie

6"+ of lift on a full set of JKS arms.... No problems what so ever.... drives great at 80+ mph and does quite well off road I might add.

Never rode in a JK that had long arms so I cant offer a comparison.

Quick Reply: Long arm VS short arms on unlimited