Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Long arm VS. Short Arm

Old 03-19-2009, 12:15 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long arm VS. Short Arm

Just curious what everyone's experiences are with long arms compared to short arms (Aftermarket Adjustable or OEM). According to numerous local sources the stock control arm mounts are far enough from the axle to make a long arm upgrade not worth the extra $$$. There are alot of variables here; cost, ride characteristics, where the jeep spends most of its time ect. I'm interested in hearing opinions of how they compare ontrail and seeing the numbers (RTI). Thanks!
Old 03-19-2009, 02:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jkJason
Just curious what everyone's experiences are with long arms compared to short arms (Aftermarket Adjustable or OEM). According to numerous local sources the stock control arm mounts are far enough from the axle to make a long arm upgrade not worth the extra $$$.
that's true if you are talking about a 3" and less lift but if they mean any and all lifts then you better not go there for an install. Simple answer... articulation! it is far greater in a LA kit. On road characteristics are much better as well
Old 03-19-2009, 05:56 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

not exactly. on a TJ this was definitely true because they had such tiny arms but on a JK, things are quite different.

the control arms on a JK are significantly longer than the old tj and from experience, i can tell you that with a set of good adjustable aftermarket arms, they can still offer a good ride and an enormous amount of flex even with as much as 4"-6" of lift. how do i know? because that's what i was running before i installed a set of long arms om my JK. having said that, once you get up to the 5"-6" range, the geometry of your control arms will be off quite a bit and a set of long arms will restore them to being flatter like stock and this will give you an outstanding ride on pavement. on the trail, they will also allow your axle to articulate more correctly and therefore, allow you to have more flex.

this link should help you out.....

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...light=evo+flex

Old 03-19-2009, 06:45 PM
JK Freak

Thanks WOL. Seems like unless your going up to the 4'' plus range then long arms are a better way to go, but a 3 inch lift with long arms, while better than short arms, is not 'significantly' better.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:05 PM
JK Jedi Master

I dont disagree with Eddie, but I think it makes a difference if you have the two door

I noticed a difference on my 2 door going from a 3" short arm to the 3" Long arm from Fulltraction. the Short arm rode nice, but it doesnt compare to the long arm on the SWB two door.

Last edited by Piginajeep; 03-19-2009 at 07:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Long arm VS. Short Arm