Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
View Poll Results: Which Kit
Teraflex Long Arm
42.86%
Rubicon Express Radius Long Arm
7.14%
Rock Crawler 3 Link
30.95%
Other
19.05%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Which Long Arm System and Why? PROS and CONS

Old 08-18-2010, 07:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh, I would say it rode equally as good with the 5.5 coils as it does with the coilovers.

The coilovers are more stable off camber and I think soak up the big bumps a bit better.

I was very hesitant to install the COs(they sat in the garage for 2.5 months!) because I liked the ride so much, but now am glad I finally did it.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Prope
The 3.5" comes with 11" travel, 5.5 w/ 12". I moved my mounts up so I could use the 12" and lower my Jeep.
So how much lift do you think your running with the mounts raised?
Great looking jeep by the way man.
Also do you have any pictures of the 3 link and how it all mounts in the new crossmember?
Old 08-18-2010, 07:46 AM
JK Newbie

I think I'm at about 3.5 up front, I'll know for sure when I get the correct length coil in the rear & compare.

Thanks!

I have some pics, I'll see if I can find them. If you want, I can email you a copy of the instructions & you can get a detailed overview along with pictures, just shoot me a pm with your addy.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:01 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dlincoln91
I am going to long arm my jeep and i want to know the pros and cons of each kit.
Will one give a better flex and not get in binds over the others?
Which one will ride the best on road and perform the best off road?
Which ones JOINTS WILL NOT WEAR OUT and has good quality?
Which company has the best customer service?
When i do this i want to do it right the first time? I will be doing the install and can do it over 2 or so days in the 18 wheeler shop i work so tools and things are not issues.
Any help is greatly appreciated and all open thoughts are accepted.
Thanks
TeraFlex uses large clevite bushings on the frame end of the lower arms. These help to isolate road noise and maintain a factory like ride. Clevite bushing tend to have more give that poly style bushings, which can split and squeek. The other ends on the control arms have a quiet flex joint, that is rebuildable, greasable and easy to maintain. So far I have about 45,000 miles on my 4" LA kit and only have had 1 bushing fail.

Also flex is determined by how long your shocks are and by how much bumpstop you have.

TeraFlex uses large joints/bushings on the lowers and med size on the uppers. If you any questions regarding TeraFlex products, feel free to call me. FYI I do have access to a RK Tri-Link that was removed here for a customer that switched over to a TeraFlex LA kit to compare to.

I'm parked on my co-workers YJ with 40's here.

Last edited by TeraFlex; 08-18-2010 at 09:08 AM.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:51 PM
JK Super Freak

what are you other people voting on?
Old 08-19-2010, 04:44 AM
JK Newbie

Emailed those instructions to you.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Prope
Emailed those instructions to you.
thank you sir!
I think im going to start out with the RK long arm and then in 2 years or whenever i get the money do the front coilovers and have the mounts raised some like you did so i can run the longer coilovers
Old 08-19-2010, 11:21 AM
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Tera

We offer Independent 3 Links with Track Bars and not tri-links for JK's. We are about to release a DIY Triangulated 4 Link Rear Conversion for guys that are extremely skilled and what that type of set up.

To All

The biggest difference is not the over all amount of flex you will gain with our products, but the reduced amount of binding that naturally occurs with 5 link systems similar to Tera. The body of the JK tends to stay much more level when asked to perform off-road with a system that has no bind versus a system that does have natural binding.

When you have an axle that is over constrained it puts alot of extra Force on the bushings and joints which tends to cause wear faster than a system without natural binding. If you also have systems with long lowers and short uppers, that can also cause issues with excessive pinion rotation, excessive stress on the shorter arm mounts, more rear steer when compared to a system that has full length uppers and lowers.

In general both Tera and our kits will be limited to what length shock you can fit in the JK as to how much total travel you can gain! Some of the major differences is the amount of ground clearance we provide, the amount of body roll induced when asked to perform off-road, the warranty on our hard parts is lifetime, but in general both products are good products, but you have to weigh the pro's and cons. We require pre cat exhaust modifications in order to tuck our front control arms up so much, where Tera does not. In the end, it all depends in what you want! Whatever system you want will be the best for you!

Rock Krawler

Here is also a little information on our Joints and our Bushings!

Here are the answers to our joint and bushing construction!

The first image is a picture of our Krawler Joint which is our rebuildable spherical joint shown on the right! The first thing you will notice is the the housing is narrow where it bolts into the control arm mounts compared to the joint to the left which is your standard type joint used by the majority of manufacturers! The reason for this is to allow for maximum articulation out of the joint before the housing body hits the control arm mounting bracket. Wide heads as shown on the left contact the mounting brackets prior to ever allowing for maximum articulation which is one of the biggest causes of control arm brackets being torn off the axle in our opinion.

The second image shows the guts our our Krawler Joints which are the heart and sole of their simplicity! There are two impregnated polyurethane race ways which provide nice, smooth, and quiet bind free motion, a 52100 series steel chrome plated ball with built in flanges, and two chromoly thread in retainers. The joint body itself is made from 4340 Heat Treated Chromoly. The biggest thing you will notice about our housing is the narrow head! However, in order to keep the strength of the housing where we want it to be, the wall thickness is a full 1/2" thick! Most wall thicknesses in the industry are 3/16 or 1/4 at best on rebuildable spherical joints! All the shanks are 1" for all the lower control arms! Notice, there is no press required or specialty tools for rebuilding them either. You can actually adjust the preload on the joints while they are still in the vehicle!

The third image shows our standard weld on end and bushing material for the lower control arms at the frame connection! We use the largest bushings in the industry to provide with the best possible vibration free ride! Our tube end used is a 2.5" O.D. 1/4" Wall DOM allowing us to have a massive 2" O.D. 7/8 I.D. Control Arm Bushing. Our control arm bushings are also made from an impregnated poly so they are less likely to squeak! That is why they look so shiny in the picture! Also, notice the relief cut under the head of the flanges of the bushings. This allows for another 15 degrees of misalignment!

We have addressed all the details in our control arm construction to ensure the best possible on highway ride as well as the best possible off road ability without compromise! We are avid Jeep Owners and want to enjoy our Jeeps each and every day both on the street and on the trail. However, when we get to the trail, we do not want to look like an "also ran". We want to be what everyone aspires to be with their JK off road.

Like Tera, our rear uppers are double spherical as well as our front uppers! Our front uppers at the axle also get build a ball joint or another style of rebuildable spherical joint to allow for maximum articulation and provide a nice quiet ride. Typically, when pushed off road the OEM bushings in the front upper mounts are the axle get torn apart pretty quickly so we wanted to address that as well!

Last edited by Rock Krawler Suspension; 08-19-2010 at 11:24 AM.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension
Tera

We offer Independent 3 Links with Track Bars and not tri-links for JK's. We are about to release a DIY Triangulated 4 Link Rear Conversion for guys that are extremely skilled and what that type of set up.

To All

The biggest difference is not the over all amount of flex you will gain with our products, but the reduced amount of binding that naturally occurs with 5 link systems similar to Tera. The body of the JK tends to stay much more level when asked to perform off-road with a system that has no bind versus a system that does have natural binding.

When you have an axle that is over constrained it puts alot of extra Force on the bushings and joints which tends to cause wear faster than a system without natural binding. If you also have systems with long lowers and short uppers, that can also cause issues with excessive pinion rotation, excessive stress on the shorter arm mounts, more rear steer when compared to a system that has full length uppers and lowers.

In general both Tera and our kits will be limited to what length shock you can fit in the JK as to how much total travel you can gain! Some of the major differences is the amount of ground clearance we provide, the amount of body roll induced when asked to perform off-road, the warranty on our hard parts is lifetime, but in general both products are good products, but you have to weigh the pro's and cons. We require pre cat exhaust modifications in order to tuck our front control arms up so much, where Tera does not. In the end, it all depends in what you want! Whatever system you want will be the best for you!

Rock Krawler

Here is also a little information on our Joints and our Bushings!

Here are the answers to our joint and bushing construction!

The first image is a picture of our Krawler Joint which is our rebuildable spherical joint shown on the right! The first thing you will notice is the the housing is narrow where it bolts into the control arm mounts compared to the joint to the left which is your standard type joint used by the majority of manufacturers! The reason for this is to allow for maximum articulation out of the joint before the housing body hits the control arm mounting bracket. Wide heads as shown on the left contact the mounting brackets prior to ever allowing for maximum articulation which is one of the biggest causes of control arm brackets being torn off the axle in our opinion.

The second image shows the guts our our Krawler Joints which are the heart and sole of their simplicity! There are two impregnated polyurethane race ways which provide nice, smooth, and quiet bind free motion, a 52100 series steel chrome plated ball with built in flanges, and two chromoly thread in retainers. The joint body itself is made from 4340 Heat Treated Chromoly. The biggest thing you will notice about our housing is the narrow head! However, in order to keep the strength of the housing where we want it to be, the wall thickness is a full 1/2" thick! Most wall thicknesses in the industry are 3/16 or 1/4 at best on rebuildable spherical joints! All the shanks are 1" for all the lower control arms! Notice, there is no press required or specialty tools for rebuilding them either. You can actually adjust the preload on the joints while they are still in the vehicle!

The third image shows our standard weld on end and bushing material for the lower control arms at the frame connection! We use the largest bushings in the industry to provide with the best possible vibration free ride! Our tube end used is a 2.5" O.D. 1/4" Wall DOM allowing us to have a massive 2" O.D. 7/8 I.D. Control Arm Bushing. Our control arm bushings are also made from an impregnated poly so they are less likely to squeak! That is why they look so shiny in the picture! Also, notice the relief cut under the head of the flanges of the bushings. This allows for another 15 degrees of misalignment!

We have addressed all the details in our control arm construction to ensure the best possible on highway ride as well as the best possible off road ability without compromise! We are avid Jeep Owners and want to enjoy our Jeeps each and every day both on the street and on the trail. However, when we get to the trail, we do not want to look like an "also ran". We want to be what everyone aspires to be with their JK off road.

Like Tera, our rear uppers are double spherical as well as our front uppers! Our front uppers at the axle also get build a ball joint or another style of rebuildable spherical joint to allow for maximum articulation and provide a nice quiet ride. Typically, when pushed off road the OEM bushings in the front upper mounts are the axle get torn apart pretty quickly so we wanted to address that as well!
I was on the phone with a RK guy this morning for quite a while and i am right now leaning towards the X factor upgrade, but i still have 8 months to think about it before i do this extreme of a change to my jeep. It is for sure on the top of the list though after a new rear driveshaft!
Old 08-19-2010, 06:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Rock Krawler ordered.

I am by trait a mechanical engineer, and I have studied vehicle dynamics for the last 10 years….Not that that really means any thing.

But after many weeks of debate I just placed an order for the 3.5 Triple threat long arm kit. Tereflex was a close second but Rock Krawler seemed to really understand the suspension design and answered all my questions very well. I will get my parts soon so as they say the proof is in the pudding?

Quick Reply: Which Long Arm System and Why? PROS and CONS