Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

long arm, short arm

Old 04-08-2011, 07:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default long arm, short arm

Whats the difference between a long arm lift kit and a short arm lift kit?
Old 04-08-2011, 07:40 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by orfanidisnikolaos
Whats the difference between a long arm lift kit and a short arm lift kit?
Try a little searching, there are tons of discussions on this. You can find a really good thread by clicking HERE:

In short, a long arm lift should give you better on and offroad performance, and can get your steering and suspension geometer as good, if not better than stock but they are very expensive compared to a short arm.

Short Arms offer a lower price lift utilizing stock control arms, but the higher you go, the more negative changes you make to your steering geometry, plus the ride is generally not as good as a long arm.

I have run both, I love the performance of my long arm, but man it was expensive.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

thanks for the quick reply
Old 07-17-2011, 04:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have Teraflex long arm it's a great ride on & off the road. much better then short arms . If I ever lose this JK I would do long arms on the next one
Old 08-12-2011, 11:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

What's the difference between a t-rex and a spider monkey??
Old 08-12-2011, 01:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Check this thread out: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...light=long+arm

I have the same dilemma.

Is a long arm worth the money for a 2 door Rubicon JK running 35s for a 'street jeep' for mid level 4X4 & rock crawling use?

The hardest trails I plan on doing would be something like Poison Spider to Golden Spike to Gold Bar rim in Moab or the Rubicon Trail using the bypasses around the hardest obstacles.

I'm really interested in Full Traction 3" (with great deal offered by Northridge) but can't decide on the Ultimate kit or the Long Travel Kit.

This inability to make a decision is why I haven't bought a lift yet. I have the money for the LT lift, but not for the install yet, so I would have order it and wait for install. I have the money to get the Ultimate kit & install it, but will I always be thinking that I should have bought the LT kit. I guess I could always upgrade later, but probably wouldn't.

Plus, I'll eventually need drive shafts, front axle C gussets & sleeves, and lower gearing.

Then there is the costs for new wheels & 35" tires....

I'm trying to buy the parts when there is a deal and collect them to put on the Jeep when I get enough to be usable. It would look funny to have stock wheels & tires on a 3" LT lift for a year until I can afford the wheels & tires. It takes a lot of $$$ to lift a JK the right way so it is dependable on a remote trail....
Old 08-12-2011, 04:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by azsandrider
Check this thread out: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...light=long+arm

I have the same dilemma.

Is a long arm worth the money for a 2 door Rubicon JK running 35s for a 'street jeep' for mid level 4X4 & rock crawling use?

The hardest trails I plan on doing would be something like Poison Spider to Golden Spike to Gold Bar rim in Moab or the Rubicon Trail using the bypasses around the hardest obstacles.

I'm really interested in Full Traction 3" (with great deal offered by Northridge) but can't decide on the Ultimate kit or the Long Travel Kit.

This inability to make a decision is why I haven't bought a lift yet. I have the money for the LT lift, but not for the install yet, so I would have order it and wait for install. I have the money to get the Ultimate kit & install it, but will I always be thinking that I should have bought the LT kit. I guess I could always upgrade later, but probably wouldn't.

Plus, I'll eventually need drive shafts, front axle C gussets & sleeves, and lower gearing.

Then there is the costs for new wheels & 35" tires....

I'm trying to buy the parts when there is a deal and collect them to put on the Jeep when I get enough to be usable. It would look funny to have stock wheels & tires on a 3" LT lift for a year until I can afford the wheels & tires. It takes a lot of $$$ to lift a JK the right way so it is dependable on a remote trail....
Full Traction are 100% bolt-on long arm systems. You may be able to install it yourself.

Last edited by bbrown626; 08-12-2011 at 07:39 PM.

Quick Reply: long arm, short arm