Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Long Arm Kit or........

Old 11-25-2008, 11:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long Arm Kit or........

I have a 3" TeraFlex and am very happy with it, I should have gone bigger the first time though. I want to go to a 4" to 5.5". I dont like body lifts, so my questions are 1) do i need a long arm kit? 2) Would it be cheaper to buy the parts individually or buy another kit? 3) Is there another way?
Old 11-25-2008, 11:16 AM
JK Jedi Master

what size tire are you going to run?
Old 11-25-2008, 11:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

37's
Old 11-25-2008, 12:18 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Squad2man
I have a 3" TeraFlex and am very happy with it, I should have gone bigger the first time though. I want to go to a 4" to 5.5". I dont like body lifts, so my questions are 1) do i need a long arm kit? 2) Would it be cheaper to buy the parts individually or buy another kit? 3) Is there another way?
You just need new coils/shocks/links
maybe brakelines and a drag link flip/TB drop bracket kit depending if you go with 6"
But if your going tun 37's you can do a 4" and keep those shocks. There's several ways that you can do this.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks that what I wanted to hear. DO i need adjustable control arms?
Old 11-25-2008, 03:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

bump, bump
Old 11-25-2008, 03:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

bump, bump
Old 12-04-2008, 08:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it may be cheaper to piece it together rather then buy another lift. Replace the springs with 4 inch or get 1.5 inch daystar spacers for above the springs. Check out my thread on building your own custom lift here.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/multiple-manufacturer-assembled-suspension-lift-44547/
Old 12-04-2008, 08:33 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_Engle
What a long arm suspension does is it helps reduce the angle of the lower control arms. TJ long arms measure from 20” – 28” (stock is about 16”) in length or so IIRC, and to fit 35” inch tires most TJ’s need about 5” – 6” of lift.

With a short arm lift of 5” – 6” this would cause the lower control arms to be at a pretty steep angle (30 -45 degrees of control arm angularity), causing many severe controllability issues.

Because Jeep designed the JK with longer stock lower control arms (6 ˝” longer then the length of stock TJ arms) and much larger wheel wells, you can fit 35” – 37” tire with only 3" - 4” of lift, so a long arm lift is NOT necessary.

The gains you would see from a long arm suspension on a JK are minimal until you get in the 38” – 40”+ tire sizes where you would need to run a 6”+ lift and you would be able to reap the benefits of longer control arms.

Long story short, do you need adj. control arms? Yes, since your prob. going to need at least 3/8" or more adj. on the length of the control arms to get your Castor/pinion angle back to a good operating angle when running a 4"+ lift.
what he said is dead on

if you're just gonna run 37's and something like a 4" teraflex lift, no, you do not need to go long arm. i am pretty much running this setup now and can tell you that you will love it.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:36 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
what he said is dead on

if you're just gonna run 37's and something like a 4" teraflex lift, no, you do not need to go long arm. i am pretty much running this setup now and can tell you that you will love it.
HUGE BUMP.....................anyways, so wayalife are you still running the Teraflex 4 inch and 37's with short arms? Would you recomend this setup? Sounds like a good cheap alternative for me instead of going LA right now and I could always upgrade arms later?

Quick Reply: Long Arm Kit or........