Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

LoD tire carrier vibraton!

Old 12-01-2010, 07:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sixty5vdub
Mine is very solid. The tire snugs up against the carrier, so no vibration there. And, as long as you adjust the two brackets on the carrier to snug up against the stops on the tailgate, nothing should be moving around.

Anthony
That being the case, I wonder how he is getting any tire vibration. I could not believe my eyes when I saw that some mfgs had the spare hanging out in the breeze just like a stock tire carrier.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by grady
It seems odd that an out of balance tire that was originally balanced to combat radial run out would vibrate when it was static mounted on a carrier.
The balance of the wheel on the carrier is not the issue. It could be that the slight vibration I'm getting while driving from the wheels on the ground needing balanced could be causing the spare to vibrate! It is Deffinently not the mirror, I can turn around and watch the tire vibrating.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mgeorge15
I do need to balance my wheels and tires again, I do have a slight vibration at higher speeds but I just didn't figure it would cause the tire to wobble so much on the tire carrier. But then again they are 37's so there's a lot of tire there! I'll probably do a balance this weekend if I get time and see if it goes away.
The whole carrier vibrates on mine from an unbalanced tire. Everything is snug. Who ever thought I was referring to the spare being balanced and that causin the issue... SERIOUSLY?
Old 12-01-2010, 08:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Vibration?

Originally Posted by wazooz2424
The whole carrier vibrates on mine from an unbalanced tire. Everything is snug. Who ever thought I was referring to the spare being balanced and that causin the issue... SERIOUSLY?
SERIOUSLY? I must have misread because I could have swore I read where SOMEONE, not necessarily you, stated something about the tire being recently balanced.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:51 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mgeorge15
The balance of the wheel on the carrier is not the issue. It could be that the slight vibration I'm getting while driving from the wheels on the ground needing balanced could be causing the spare to vibrate! It is Deffinently not the mirror, I can turn around and watch the tire vibrating.
Mine does vibrate when I hit some bumps and sometimes I get a slight vibration/shaking at highway speeds. I got it snugged up against the tire carrier, the rubber bumpstops on the gate are snug as a bug to the tire carrier. I am caulking this up as the tire tread pattern on the wheels and even the highway pavement. I am thinking of adjustting the swing gate latch to see if this will help snug it up more. The LoD tire carrier is A+ in my books.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:34 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Hey give us a call and we can help you get it adjusted right, everything is adjustable on it so we can help you with that, its easier to explain on the phone. Also the tire has to be pulled tight up against the tire carrier so that the tire itself is making good snug contact with the tire carrier, if you mount the wheel without the tire touching the tire carrier the tire will vibrate.

LoD
765-385-0631
Old 12-02-2010, 09:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've got it snugged up against the carrier like the directions say where the tire is kind of buldging. I should probably ride in the back and let someone drive so I can look and see if the tire is vibrating or if it's the carrier and tire shaking!
Old 09-09-2011, 06:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Old thread, new question. Installed the LoD third gen (not linked) rear carrier. Did all the adjusting, tire snug etc. Its quite good now - but not "perfect."

- If hit bump in road (esp when moving +25mph) get some vibration in the carrier tha shakes jeep a bit (not tire vibrating but rather the whole a-frame)
- center rubber bump stop (the one that screws into the old tire carrier bolt hole) bolt is too short to extend as far as I think needed to make really tight

Any ideas/exp from others how adjusted these?

P.S. Tried the Daystar replacement bumpers usually used for big tires on stock carrier - thought they might hold tighter to the A-frame but seems about the same as stock softer rubber

Quick Reply: LoD tire carrier vibraton!