Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

LoD tire carrier vibraton!

Old 11-30-2010, 07:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LoD tire carrier vibraton!

I have the LoD rear tire carrier and i have noticed at certain speeds when i look in the rear view mirror that the tire is shaking pretty good. I dont have any rattles or noises at all, it just looks like it shakes a lot. Anyone else had this happen with their tire carrier? The tire is tight on the carrier so im wondering if its the actual swing arm shaking?
Old 11-30-2010, 07:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have only had it about two months now, but dont get me wrong I love it, wouldnt buy any other bumper!! Im thinking it may be user error on my part, just wondering!
Old 12-01-2010, 04:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Bump. Anyone?
Old 12-01-2010, 04:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the same bumper. Love it. I have a tire that I can't seem to keep balanced. When it's on the back I have a little vibration as well. Have you rotated tires lately or have one out if balance?
Old 12-01-2010, 05:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kawasakirider47
sorry to kinda hi-jack the thread here but im about to purchase this exact bumper and this vibration story is kinda worrying me. Is this a common thing? does this vibration shake the car or can you only see it through your rearview(like do you think its only the rear view that shaking making the tire look like its shaking)
Mine didn't shake until I rotated some tires. I'm think that mine and the OPs issue is an out of balance tire. You won't regret the purchase.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

I do need to balance my wheels and tires again, I do have a slight vibration at higher speeds but I just didn't figure it would cause the tire to wobble so much on the tire carrier. But then again they are 37's so there's a lot of tire there! I'll probably do a balance this weekend if I get time and see if it goes away.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kawasakirider47
sorry to kinda hi-jack the thread here but im about to purchase this exact bumper and this vibration story is kinda worrying me. Is this a common thing? Does this vibration shake the car or can you only see it through your rearview(like do you think its only the rear view that shaking making the tire look like its shaking)

buy it you will love it.... Lod all the way!!!!!!
Old 12-01-2010, 07:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default LoD tire carrier

I am in the market and have been looking at this same setup. Sometimes the pictures aren't enough. Does the tire rest against the frame of the carrier, or is it just resting with the back face of the wheel on the hub? It seems like some of the carriers on the market have it one way, and the others have it another. I would prefer it where the tire itself is making sold contact with the carrier. This would eliminate any vibration issue. It seems odd that an out of balance tire that was originally balanced to combat radial run out would vibrate when it was static mounted on a carrier.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

This may sound crazy, but .............. have somebody watch the tire as you are driving. Or turn your head and take a quick look yourself while driving slowly.

I freaked out when I first put my LoD bumper/carrier on, because I looked in the mirror and it looked like the spare was moving all around.

Turns out it was just ............. the mirror vibrating. My spare doesn't move, except for the really big bumps. And even then, it moves VERY little.

Anthony
Old 12-01-2010, 07:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kawasakirider47
Thats what im saying with the rear view mirror vibrating haha. But from the sounds of it the LoD is pretty solid?
Mine is very solid. The tire snugs up against the carrier, so no vibration there. And, as long as you adjust the two brackets on the carrier to snug up against the stops on the tailgate, nothing should be moving around.

Anthony

Quick Reply: LoD tire carrier vibraton!