Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

LoD Signature Series Jeep JK Wrangler Bumpers

Old 02-12-2008, 09:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by armycop
x2. Any tire carrier to include the stock one from the factory will cause some severe damage if hit from the rear at an equal height.

- Well No, I was hit at tire height with the stock carrier and had zero damage. I have a Shrock that was also hit at that height, but, because its braced against the face of the bumper, instead of on top of the bumper, the bumper itself help hold the tire carrier against the force...totaling the OTHER rig, zero damage to me.

The bumper mounted ones would probably tend to shear at the joint, and probably fold into the window. But the O.E. tire carrier would easily snap and break, causing the majority of the impact to be taken by the tailgate and window anyway.

- Well - No again....impact caused no damage....its stronger than itlooked, yeah jeep!

The point of the bumper carrier is to remove the weight of the tire from the tailgate, not crash protection. I can't see how they can make a swingout tire carrier with a pivot point strong enough to withstand another vehicle hitting it.
See Shrock mention above.

As for the Prior "screw it, that's what the insurance is for", OK, why bother with after market bumpers....all you need is a way to carry a larger tire.

In short - BUMPERS ARE FOR PROTECTION, carriers are to carry...

Even if the insurance covers me (except for the $500 dedectable) do I want a weekend of wheeling ruined because I blew out my rear accidentally backing into something?

So - On all points - sure, at 100 mph, moot point perhaps...but for normal fender benders/tree mishaps etc...the stuff that DOES happen regularely....

1) The OEM TOOK a few mph whack to the s tire, no damage...so, taking damage from that would be a step DOWN in protection.

2) There ARE designs that are stronger/better able to resist the above type of impacts.

3) Insurance may cover you, if you are are 0% at fault, but you still have down time....what's that worth?

So - sure - it looks nice, but its design is weaker than it has to be as far as damage to the rear end...and it stocks out so far, its sure to get whacked too.

I'm not saying don't buy one, hell, it won't affect me...but, I just like people to know pluses and minuses of designs.........I didn't even mention the probably sucky departure angle, etc. Most people just buy what looks good....why be different?

Guys who make fishing lures say"We don't design them to catch a fish's attention...we design them to catch a fishermen's attention".

Last edited by TEEJ; 02-12-2008 at 09:16 AM.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wayoflife
And, speaking of your questions, I have talked to LoD and was told that the Superwinch EP 9.0 will fit but you will need to indicate as much when placing your order as new mounting hole will need to be specially made.
Good to know. I need to call them back and let them know I have the EPi 9.0
Thanks for thinking ahead.
Thanks WOL for getting the answer.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ipe I'm on several other boards also and I've seen the same rumors you talk about so I can see how if you started somewhere else you might of came into this site with an edge towards that caution.

Basically, it's hard to really understand the dribble from others and whether they are truely reflecting what might have or might of not occurred. Unless it happened to you it's really hard to tell what occurred. Inappropriate language, Nudity, bashing over and over again just won't keep you on any site no matter what they tell ya. I've even seen love fests on some sites where it's all about this forum and how everyone is getting screwed. Well if you lock up 30 crack addicts in one room I'm sure they will look at the outside world as control freaks.

WOL own's this site and it's ulitimately his to set ground rules on. He's also defended other users when being bashed by other users. I guess what I'm trying to say is it's all good. If in doubt PM, and if it's that important to you PM the man and post the results.

Now on the bumper,

I likey! but I will soon have two front bumpers and no rear bumper. I need to look into a rear before I venture of on another front bumper....

I do like the front edge in front of the winch. I like how finished it looks with the lip and indent along the front top edge. I wish more bumpers had this as I think it builds some character to the overall bumper.

I also like the hoop but I can see why others might just wait for the second production run without it.

Last edited by NE Wrangling; 02-12-2008 at 09:19 AM.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:20 AM
Ipe
JK Newbie

Fair enough everyone. The First and 2nd sort of threw me, but its all good.

Good to know that the Superwinch should fit and the $20 discount for no hoop. Somehow I just don't like the hoops.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:24 AM
JK Super Freak

hoops are definately a preference thing. I'm not to fond of the stinger style hoops but like the milder hoop that doesn't go over the front of the grill or stick out to far so you can't see.

I've seen hoops help in accidents but with a lift I'm not sure it even would be touched unless it was at high speed or was a deer or something.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Yeah - I like hoops - Too many deer in NJ, too many back roads, etc...I hit them like others hit mosquitoes.

The more armor up front, the more venison puree/less Truck damage.

The more armor in back, the more the inattentive guy is discouraged from driving into my cargo hold, etc.

If a bumpers braces are not strong enough, as it it mounts, but is not strong in all vectors, an offset impact especially will tear mounts off, bend or break things.

A buddy welded a bumper to the rear of his Taco....I looked at his job...I said nice welds, but you have no protection against opposite direction shear forces...he said..."well, that's unlikely, I'm either going to come down off a ledge and whack it, or be hit from behind, who's going to come through the truck to hit it backwards?"

I said what if you snag something coming off the ledge, or hit the rear fender so the leading edge of the bumper gets pulled back?

He said I was putting diapers on flies, etc....his welds were bullet proof.

A week ago, he slid down an icy hill, hit a tree at the rear fender, catching the rear bumper, and ripping it off, plus yanking the frame mounts off and bending the frame.

He ain't reall happy about it...but he's agreed a better designed bumper mount would not have sheared off cand caused more damage than the bumper would have protected against.

I'm looking forward to his newer attempt.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ipe
Good to know that the Superwinch should fit :
Just fixed my order with them
They're going to drill a second set of holes so the Superwinch will have more room. So now I can use the EPi 9.0 or use the standard holes for other winches.

Like I said earlier...amazing customer service so far.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the bumpers.

Put me on the list for interest in a shorter version of the rear. I love the look of the bumper and I want corner protection, but I only want one that comes out a max of half way on the flares. Tube fenders are a definate for me and I don't want a bumper hanging way out there.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:50 AM
JK Super Freak

That rear bumper is very very nice.

X2 with interest for a mid and full bumper.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:40 PM
JK Super Freak

I agree Teej. I'm deciding on the rear bumper and I will more than likely wait until my rear get's hit, xmas net year or until I feel the bumper I would want is made. Nate's has one that I'm interested in because of the extra storage compartment in the bumper but I want one that is fearsome to the idiots whom ride my a$$ everyday into work. There has been more than one occassion that I've jacked the breaks to see the bonehead drinking thier coffee and talking on their cell spill all over themself.

Quick Reply: LoD Signature Series Jeep JK Wrangler Bumpers