Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

LoD Signature series bumper highlift jack

Old 11-14-2010, 10:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wazooz-yeah i was thinking that too and if i'm replacing a flat, i guess the spare has to come off anyway. I was hoping someone had come up with a nice solution that didn't involve removing the spare.

also, anyone have ideas on how to secure the jerry cans to the mounts. i was thinking straps with maybe some footman loops to keep them from slipping off.

Last edited by stig; 11-14-2010 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Here's a solution maybe:
I used wing nuts with the bolts and washers coming from the tire side. The hilift just lifts straight up no need to remove the tire. I think I used grade 8, 3/4" bolts x 2" long. I know the size was the same diameter as the ones on the hilift (spare parts if needed). The washers are just small enough to fit in the rails of the hilift "I-beam"
It takes a wrench to remove the bolts/wingnuts, but I have had no rattles at all!

Not the greatest pic, but maybe it'll help. I left the wingnuts at angles like that so I could see in the rear view mirror if they moved or loosened. From my 3rd brake rewire writeup:

I went out and took some better ones:

Old 11-14-2010, 12:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

For the gas cans I have used 2 different methods....both worked.
I found all the parts for both the cans and the hilift at a big box Home store.

First is a 3" wide Velcro straps with a loop on the end. They come in 24" lengths I believe. It takes 2 per can. They are very secure, and with the loops you can get them pretty dang snug.

Second is ratchet tie downs. I found some cammo ones strapped them on and trimmed the excess. I left the hooks and the ratchet on the inside.

Hope this helps gents!
Old 11-14-2010, 03:14 PM
JK Newbie

Hey Jocky- Thanks for the info and pics. Great looking rig btw! I had thought of the wing nut and bolt idea, however with the trail rack mounted above the spare i have to slide the jack in/out from the side. Once on, I can't get the bolt through on the tire side because of the tire, and i have trouble getting the nut and washer back there if i put the bolt through the other way. I finally gave up on that option. Right now I have 35's with a 2" lift, soon to be 4" and I think the factory jack may have trouble lifting enough or even contacting. I haven't even tried to get it out yet.

As for the can holders, that looks pretty good. I was thinking ratchet straps myself. Do you have any trouble with the straps wanting to slide off?

Thanks, Jake
Old 11-14-2010, 04:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stig
Hey Jocky- Thanks for the info and pics. Great looking rig btw! I had thought of the wing nut and bolt idea, however with the trail rack mounted above the spare i have to slide the jack in/out from the side. Once on, I can't get the bolt through on the tire side because of the tire, and i have trouble getting the nut and washer back there if i put the bolt through the other way. I finally gave up on that option. Right now I have 35's with a 2" lift, soon to be 4" and I think the factory jack may have trouble lifting enough or even contacting. I haven't even tried to get it out yet.

As for the can holders, that looks pretty good. I was thinking ratchet straps myself. Do you have any trouble with the straps wanting to slide off?

Thanks, Jake
Sounds like the tire will have to come off when ever you need the jack :(
As far as the stock jack....it probably won't work with the 35's added height of the axles.

The straps on the fuel cans never come off. When I got it I thought there should be a footman loop or something on there to prevent the strap from sliding....but it is not needed. I have traveled thousands of rough miles with the cans and not one issue.

Quick Reply: LoD Signature series bumper highlift jack