Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

LOD Rock slider Question.

Old 01-21-2016, 05:01 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
Morris 4x4,.
Yep I just saw that on morris 4x4. Tomorrow I'm off work. I'm going to stop by Jax 4x4 shop and see if they have a couple laying around. There is a good chance they might have some in a bolt bucket.

Also what should I do with the holes left from the OEM plastic running boards? There are 4 holes on each side on the pinch seam. Should I get bolts for them? Just leave them since the seam is spot welded away ways?
Old 01-22-2016, 02:11 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
Yep I just saw that on morris 4x4. Tomorrow I'm off work. I'm going to stop by Jax 4x4 shop and see if they have a couple laying around. There is a good chance they might have some in a bolt bucket. Also what should I do with the holes left from the OEM plastic running boards? There are 4 holes on each side on the pinch seam. Should I get bolts for them? Just leave them since the seam is spot welded away ways?
Just leave them or install body armor.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:43 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
Just leave them or install body armor.
That is what I was thinking. I don't think the replacement bolts would be color match the the other OEM bolts so I'm just going to leave it. Plus I already have a small dent down there so Armor is probably a good idea.
Old 01-22-2016, 04:06 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

When I installed mine, one bolt on each side was used from the transfer case skid plate. I used the OEM bolt on that hole. I also went a step farther and used weld nuts instead of tapping the frame. This allowed me to use grade 8 bolts, flat and split washers.
Old 01-22-2016, 06:31 AM
JK Junkie

Default Jax 4x4

So I went down to Jax 4x4 shop to see if they had some and they hooked me up with some bolts... Got home put them on now I'm 100% done. Thank you for the help you guys are Awesome!!!
Old 01-22-2016, 06:14 PM
JK Junkie

Default Response from LOD

So I got a response from LOD. They claim all the bolts that came with the kit were there and that they don't provide the M12 X1.5 bolts. I just think this is a piss poor approach to their sliders. They assume that all Jeeps are Automatics and they short customers 2 bolts and we are left on our own to purchase or find 2 extra bolts. I'm sorry I already paid a pretty penny for these rock sliders I shouldn't have to jump through hoops to finish my install.

I'v spent a lot of money on LOD products and Love them but I will not be spending anymore money on them because of 2 bolts that maybe cost $5

Lots of thanks to Jax 4x4 for giving me the bolts for free. I will be spending my money at your shop and not on LOD products.

Last edited by Jonathan_JK; 01-22-2016 at 06:17 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-22-2016, 06:49 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

So I got a response from LOD. They claim all the bolts that came with the kit were there and that they don't provide the M12 X1.5 bolts. I just think this is a piss poor approach to their sliders. They assume that all Jeeps are Automatics and they short customers 2 bolts and we are left on our own to purchase or find 2 extra bolts. I'm sorry I already paid a pretty penny for these rock sliders I shouldn't have to jump through hoops to finish my install.

I'v spent a lot of money on LOD products and Love them but I will not be spending anymore money on them because of 2 bolts that maybe cost $5

Lots of thanks to Jax 4x4 for giving me the bolts for free. I will be spending my money at your shop and not on LOD products.
sure you are bummed, but dang like you said it was two bolts. I love my LoD sliders and would buy another pair in a heart beat when I get another jk. Mine fit great and are solid I would rather have a great fit and quality workmanship than 2 bolts.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love my LOD sliders, too! I've beat them up and they are still very solid! Can use them as a high lift jacking point too.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3824817089.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	543.6 KB
ID:	635283   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-299558738.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	597.1 KB
ID:	635284  
Old 01-22-2016, 07:25 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
We are talking about the metric bolt that a manual JK doesn't have. The hole and internal nut are there, but no bolt. An auto has a bolt there as there is a skid. It's the under frame bolt for the forward mount that uses the existing hole. Basically, someone with a manual trans is one bolt short every time. At least for anyone I know that bought the sliders.
So this is a known issue with LOD sliders and people with Manual transmissions.

I guess if you buy them pick up 2 extra bolts and don't forget the cutting oil. I used it during drilling as well as tapping the holes.
Old 01-23-2016, 04:32 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So this is a known issue with LOD sliders and people with Manual transmissions. I guess if you buy them pick up 2 extra bolts and don't forget the cutting oil. I used it during drilling as well as tapping the holes.
2 bolts with mine as well (manual). The 3rd is uses the TC skid bolt and 4th was provided by VKS.

VKS does not even say what size the 8 self tapping leg bolts are. i was told on JKO to use a 21/64 drill with the self tappers. It appeared the bolts were 3/8x16, so first i tried using a 5/16 tap.
The provided bolt seemed to remove more material which was odd. I should of just ran with that and used a grade 8 3/16x1" bolt.

Question, i did buy grade 8 bolts because i dont like how short the self tappers are. They fit the holes fine but not sure if i should be using them
Since the self tappers removed more metal. I guess i can measure the hole .. See if theres a significant difference in size. Unless its the threads are a little off which i cant tell.

Last edited by kjeeper10; 01-23-2016 at 04:47 AM.

Quick Reply: LOD Rock slider Question.