Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

lod rear bumper/tire carrier

Old 08-26-2009, 06:56 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which position are you guys mounting the tire mount at? The tire carrier gives you three options, I will be running 35s, just wondering if the middle position is a good spot. Seems like all of the pictures i've seen from searches have theirs mounted in the center.

Also, the tubes that come together and have 1 bolt through them that the tire mount is welded to seems a little loose, is it supposed to be a tight fit? Has anyone had an issue with larger tires and only having one bolt hold the tire on? Seems like the tubes should come together tighter.

As for the hi lift, I wonder if you need to use carriage bolts or if regular bolts, washers and lock washers would work ok.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:17 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by absoluttorque
Which position are you guys mounting the tire mount at? The tire carrier gives you three options, I will be running 35s, just wondering if the middle position is a good spot. Seems like all of the pictures i've seen from searches have theirs mounted in the center.

Also, the tubes that come together and have 1 bolt through them that the tire mount is welded to seems a little loose, is it supposed to be a tight fit? Has anyone had an issue with larger tires and only having one bolt hold the tire on? Seems like the tubes should come together tighter.

As for the hi lift, I wonder if you need to use carriage bolts or if regular bolts, washers and lock washers would work ok.
Give us a call you do not have tire mounted right, you need to adjust the tire mount so that when you pull the lug nuts down the backside of the tire will be tight and dimple against the tire carrier.

LoD
Old 08-27-2009, 07:25 AM
JK Junkie

Doh, I should have realized that, I haven't even mounted the tire on it yet so I guess I didn't realize that's how it all comes together, thanks for the response. It looks awesome even without the tire on it though
Old 08-27-2009, 12:01 PM
JK Newbie

Which coating did you get on your bumper ? I can't tell from the pictuers the difference between the matte finish and the powder coat. I have a 09 Rubi and would like to match the flares. Thanks.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

so is it cheaper to contact lod or one of their distributors for this bumper. i am in the market but made no calls yet
Old 08-27-2009, 03:07 PM
JK Junkie

I ordered the matte black, but have the sahara, its great since a can of matte black rustoleum matches perfectly, just not sure how it matches flares. I ordered mine through David at Northridge 4x4, great service and free shipping
Old 08-27-2009, 06:13 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Ryanc
How are the axe and shovel attached, that looks really good.

They are called quick fists and I got them rom Cabela's for about 4 dollars a set.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by patrol65
so is it cheaper to contact lod or one of their distributors for this bumper. i am in the market but made no calls yet
you would be hard pressed to get a better deal than what northridge offers. free shipping is no joke on something like a bumper.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

thanks. thats what i thought but didnt know if there was anyone else out there.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:37 AM
JK Junkie

I've seen pictures of the hi-lift mounted both between the carrier and spare tire and also on the back of the carrier, you must have to remove the tire to mount it between that and the carrier, I don't see any way of fishing a bolt through, although it seems like the more secure way to mount it. Also, do you guys think stainless hardware is enough or would it be necessary to go to grade 8 stuff (don't think they have wing nuts in grade 8 though.

Quick Reply: lod rear bumper/tire carrier