Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

lod rear bumper/tire carrier

Old 08-19-2009, 04:37 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shoup
Btw I figured I would post my pictures after the install, forgot to post em up.

Looks great, but I hope your married.

Cuz' you ain't gonna pick up no girls riding around with an ax and a shovel on the back of your jeep.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Shoup
Btw I figured I would post my pictures after the install, forgot to post em up.

How are the axe and shovel attached, that looks really good.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:19 PM
JK Junkie

Does anyone have a hardware list and pictures for what is needed to attach a hi-lift to the tire carrier? It doesn't come with any hardware for it, but I figure someone has found a great way to do it on the forum.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:41 PM
JK Newbie

Hope your married.... Now thats funny!
Old 08-22-2009, 03:09 AM
JK Junkie

Anyone with some info on their hi-lift setup on the LoD gen 2 rear? Did a search but no specific answer.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:43 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by absoluttorque
Anyone with some info on their hi-lift setup on the LoD gen 2 rear? Did a search but no specific answer.
It mounts to a built in flange on the top of the tire carrier. You just need two bolts. Look at Ryanc's first picture above and notice the flange below the third brake lite. It has two elongated holes to bolt the hi-jack to.

Do you have a more specific question?

Last edited by NWJKRubi; 08-22-2009 at 06:45 AM.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:22 AM
JK Junkie

Actually yes, I was more wondering what size bolts people have used that work well and also if they are using some type of wingnut, what combo of washers, etc. so I can run to the hardware store and pick the stuff up.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:00 PM
JK Newbie

Actually yes, I was more wondering what size bolts people have used that work well and also if they are using some type of wingnut, what combo of washers, etc. so I can run to the hardware store and pick the stuff up.
Here is what I did:

Hung mine off the back as it was too hard to get the bolts fished through with the tire in place.

Used wing nuts but had to tighten with Channel locks as it would loosen. Lock washers would surely help.

Drilled and deburred a small hole in the 1/2 carriage bolt for a small master lock. Not a lot of deterrent but someone who really wants it is going to find a way. I looked at other solutions but they are the same.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:47 AM
JK Junkie

Very cool, that's a huge help, wonder if you could tack a small tab onto the wingnut that would fit into the hilift holes that would prevent it from spinning, for now I'll use some lock washers. Thanks again.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:53 AM
JK Newbie

Very cool, that's a huge help, wonder if you could tack a small tab onto the wingnut that would fit into the hilift holes that would prevent it from spinning, for now I'll use some lock washers. Thanks again.
The lock washers will do enough. I think the tab would be a problem unless you wait until everything settles. For the first couple weeks I had to tight the wingnuts every few of days until they were good and snug. That keeps the rattling down. It still loosens a little running fire roads but washboard rattles pretty much everything loose including my teeth.

Quick Reply: lod rear bumper/tire carrier