Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lod Rear Bumper Question - Rear tire secure?

Old 09-29-2009, 07:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LōD Offroad
The tire has to be mounted so that when you tighten down the lug nuts it pulls the tire itself against the tire carrier making the tire very tight. Never mount the tire so that it is hanging out there by itself or every bump you hit will cause the tire to vibrate. This is why Chrysler put the isolators on the back of the door, so that it keeps the tire from vibrating. Below is a pic of the L-Brackets that make contact with the factory rubber isolators and how they should be bolted and adjusted. Give us a call with any questions.

LoD

Wow...looks like I have to move the L-brackets more to the isolators. Mine is way too far back (L-brackets are just touching isolators). hmm...top of my list of things to do today...thanks LOD for the pic and pkess3 for the post .
Old 09-29-2009, 08:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Thanks for the input everyone and for the chime-in by Lod! Last night I moved the adjustable thing that the tire bolts on to (don't know what it's called) further in where the tire would be snug against the carrier. This put the hole in between two of the pre-drilled holes so i just drilled my own whole to line them up and installed the bolt. It was already tight to begin with. I had to use a mallet to even get it this far but now it's super solid and the tire is touching the carrier. I probably should have adjusted it a little closer for the tire to be more snug but even now I'm noticing that it's much more stable on the highway. Before it would rattle over any little imperfection in the road. It was rattling/wabbling so bad before that it made the jeep feel like the tires were out of balance.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Am I the only one who doesn't see the picture? Tried 2 different browsers and 2 computers...nothing...weird.

Anyway, if the stock 32's on the Rubicon fit on this thing I should be good...now it's just a matter of waiting. Placed the order a month ago and was told 3 weeks so I estimated 4-6 (haha...), I hope it's here soon!
Old 09-29-2009, 01:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by armandov99
Am I the only one who doesn't see the picture? Tried 2 different browsers and 2 computers...nothing...weird.

Anyway, if the stock 32's on the Rubicon fit on this thing I should be good...now it's just a matter of waiting. Placed the order a month ago and was told 3 weeks so I estimated 4-6 (haha...), I hope it's here soon!
Yeah it takes a while. Mine came in phases. Bumper first, then carrier and a few weeks later the gerry can holders came. Be patient and call or email often. They do a great job of updating where it is and getting you track numbers.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Well I messed around with it last night and I was able to secure the tire against the carrier with the spare tire adaptor. I also made sure the "L" brackets were snug against the factory rubber isolators. It is ROCK SOLID now. Only thing that vibrates is the jerry cans at highways speeds although there's no fuel in them and it's very minor and expected at such speeds. Also the hi-lift jack makes accoasional noise.

Thanks to Chris at Lod for following up with this.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by armandov99

I also don't see the pic of the L-Bracket.
Can someone post this pic up?
Old 10-09-2009, 09:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by neXgen
I also don't see the pic of the L-Bracket.
Can someone post this pic up?
This one?
Old 10-22-2009, 11:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Real quick question, guys...maybe I'm missing something here....looking at the picture in the last post, I can see what I think is the lower mounting nut/bolt for the trail rack. You can see the nut side here in the pic, but the back side where the bolt head must be, would the tire be up against the bolt head?

My rack isn't here yet and I just put the bumper on and noticed this. What the heck happens there?

Also it seems like the same issue will be on the third brake light bracket. I haven't put it on because I'm not sure I got all the hardware right now, but the places where it looks like it bolts in are up against the tire which makes me wonder how the heck the bolt isn't going to be hitting the tire - and that can't be good...

Any input there from anyone? Thanks...
Old 10-31-2009, 06:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

So...anyone else using a stock tire have it rubbing on the bolt head like this:

Even with 33's or 35's I can see the tire hitting the bolts for the rack and brake light. Have you guys just left them like this?
Old 10-31-2009, 07:36 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by LōD Offroad
The tire has to be mounted so that when you tighten down the lug nuts it pulls the tire itself against the tire carrier making the tire very tight. Never mount the tire so that it is hanging out there by itself or every bump you hit will cause the tire to vibrate. This is why Chrysler put the isolators on the back of the door, so that it keeps the tire from vibrating. Below is a pic of the L-Brackets that make contact with the factory rubber isolators and how they should be bolted and adjusted. Give us a call with any questions.

LoD

as far as hight goes where do you mount for 35's top. middle or bottom hole?

Quick Reply: Lod Rear Bumper Question - Rear tire secure?