Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

LOD rear bumper

Old 03-26-2014, 04:59 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LOD rear bumper

I am looking at the new LOD rear bumper with tire carrier as an option. Does anyone have any opinions on the quality and function?
Old 03-26-2014, 05:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Waterloo1
I am looking at the new LOD rear bumper with tire carrier as an option. Does anyone have any opinions on the quality and function?
I have the new one, shorty version. LoD is high quality. Probably about the lightest bumper/carrier out there. 110lbs all in for my version.

Easy install, looks great. Really like the integrated back lights.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Happy with my shorty rear bumper/tire carrier. No rattles, and beefy. One down side is that it hangs pretty low, as it is a big bumper--I've bashed it plenty of times with only powdercoat scratches.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mistasparkl
Happy with my shorty rear bumper/tire carrier. No rattles, and beefy. One down side is that it hangs pretty low, as it is a big bumper--I've bashed it plenty of times with only powdercoat scratches.
X2 I've been thinking about selling mine because everytime I come off a ledge I smack and drag my bumper. It's a great bumper with no issues and as many times as I have whacked it on a obstacle it still doesn't rattle. So really it's more of where my wheeling style has changed then the bumper itself.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:13 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ronin2120
X2 I've been thinking about selling mine because everytime I come off a ledge I smack and drag my bumper. It's a great bumper with no issues and as many times as I have whacked it on a obstacle it still doesn't rattle. So really it's more of where my wheeling style has changed then the bumper itself.
There are not many options for more clearance in the rear. The LoD is flush with the rear crossmember, so nothing can sit higher. You might get something that sits a little closer in, but I doubt that will make a difference when dropping off a ledge.

Best bet is a rear stretch.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Waterloo1
I have the full width with the lights. Outstanding bumper,high quality and very strong.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
There are not many options for more clearance in the rear. The LoD is flush with the rear crossmember, so nothing can sit higher. You might get something that sits a little closer in, but I doubt that will make a difference when dropping off a ledge.

Best bet is a rear stretch.
I've been looking at the PSC BFH (I believe) it tucks in much tighter then the LOD. But then I have to look at either the TF, Genright or PSC rear tire carrier. I'm waiting to see what the PSC one looks like when finally released.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:21 AM
JK Junkie

I've been looking at the PSC BFH (I believe) it tucks in much tighter then the LOD. But then I have to look at either the TF, Genright or PSC rear tire carrier. I'm waiting to see what the PSC one looks like when finally released.
It definitely tucks in tight. Unless you have some speed, it will still hit a ledge on the way down. It would make a difference on a really steep approach though.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:44 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is it confirmed PSC is actually going to release that swing away tire carrier version? Last I read it was a one-off for the giveaway raffle vehicle & might never see production.

I've had the full width LOD on my 08. It's big, heavy, and always whacked the corners whenever coming down on a steep rock. It got annoying. It never rattled, solid, and carried a lot of gear, which was nice. But overall it just felt too bulky for rock crawling.

I had the ORFAB too. Nice design, but ultimately I felt it stuck out way too far. And mounting the spare via a t-handle bar was a pita by yourself.

I tried the teraflex... Simple, clean, easy install, zero rattles. Didn't like the design for adding accessories like hilift & fuel cans.

My 2013 has the Genright. Zero complaints so far. Still trying to fine tune the mechanism to close/open effortlessly, but other than that I'm wicked happy with it. It's also super light, even for the steel version.

Just my .02 cents.

-Mike
Old 03-27-2014, 10:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just did the LOD shorty rear and shorty front last week. Upgraded from the Mopar off-road bumpers and tire carrier.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2391981422.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	541006

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3301999112.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	541008

Quick Reply: LOD rear bumper