Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

LOD mid- width rear install not going well!

Old 02-25-2012, 05:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As you can see I'm using an electric fork lift in the companies warehouse that I work for.
I am not a happy camper right now.
This is how far I've gotten with the test fit and I still have at least 3" to 4" to go before I'm lined up with old bumper mount holes.
Guess what its not going any further with out some very heavy persuasion, to the point that I don't think it will come off once it's on WTF nice job LOD!!! Its as if the brackets on the bumper are to narrow!!!

Oh and one other thing do not get the light kit once the lights are in I'm pretty sure you have to take the bumper off to change the
bulbs Brilliant engineering LOD!!!

May have a great deal on some scrap metal if anyones interested!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1328310990.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	282211

LOD (lousy ass design)
Old 02-25-2012, 05:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Did you try and contact lod I had a problem with some smitty built stuff called them and they fixed it.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nope I know what the solution is, a grinder just don't have one. So now I get to drive home without a bumper. Go buy a grinder tomorrow, go back to the shop and start grinding on my brand new Jeeps frame because some moron at LOD was having a bad day!
Can't wait to see how the front Bumper and sliders go!
But thanks for listening to my rant!!!
Ask me in a week how I like my LOD stuff!

Last edited by Cervelo; 02-25-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thx man! I feel a little better after some pizza.....now where's that sledge hammer?
Old 02-25-2012, 05:50 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine waws tight too. I was able to "hip check" each side until it was on, then take it off and do it all over again. But imposter is right, solid as hell and I love it
Old 02-25-2012, 06:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Take a couple of measurements across the inside of the bumper brackets so you can see if they are square. Measure up against the bumper and take a second measurement at the ends. If the end measurement between the brackets is less they may have pulled in due to welding stresses. If so you may be able to open up the end of the brackets by placing a jack or portapower ram between them. But be carefull not to jack them out to far or you could distort the bumper. My LOD bumper was a tight fit as well and had to be worked on a little bit at a time from end to end. Had to keep it as square as possible. Good luck.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mine was a struggle to get on as well. It is difficult to keep thing straight when welding, it likely sucked in when welded. I used a dead blow mallet, and lots of swear words to get mine on. A little grease on the frame rails helps too! But one things for sure, i pitty the petson that ever rearends me, cause the bumper is not going to give!!!!!
Old 02-25-2012, 08:40 PM
MTG
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your install troubles. Here's hoping it gets smoother from here on out. Sometimes taking a break helps. Subscribed to see how it turns out and because LoD is on my short list.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Dang dude, I understand frustration and all... but relax. Whew, I almost got stressed out just reading your post!

With my wife's help it took us the better part of a day and a half to install the LOD bumper on my Jeep. Yeah it was tight, and as another poster stated we had to do a lot of "hip checking." Had to throw the bumper on and off the frame three times due to my lack of getting it done right the first time. Sure it made our hips and legs sore... but looking back, it was actually pretty damn fun.

To be honest, I'd RATHER my bumper fit on a little tighter. Too loose a fit wouldn't feel as confident in the design if it was loose. I'm sure this belief is meaningless as I don't know crap about bumper engineering. But I feel LOD makes an awesome product and haven't found any design flaws yet.

BTW - LOD can't stand for "Lame Ass Design" as the OP originally stated... I'm pretty sure O and A are not interchangable. Not sayin' anything... just sayin'...
Old 02-26-2012, 04:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

I hear ya! Not my first rodeo either.
Its not a matter of tight, if that's all it was it would be on now.
I can easily push it(and the Jeep) on with the fork lift, but then it's not coming off!
When the instructions blather on about test fitting one would think you wouldn't have to remove it with the fork lift (not listed in tools needed).
But your right maybe I'm expecting to much from a $1000.00+ bumper LOL
How about this LOD (Lame Oss Design) say it like Thurston Howell from Gilligans Island

Last edited by Cervelo; 02-26-2012 at 04:49 AM.

Quick Reply: LOD mid- width rear install not going well!