Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lod Gen2 Rear Bumper Tire Swing - Greasable Pin Rust?

Old 08-04-2009, 06:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lod Gen2 Rear Bumper Tire Swing - Greasable Pin Rust?

I've been trying to decide what rear bumper to buy. I like the look and price of the LOD Gen2 system.

However, I used to have a TJ and I bought one of the first LOD tire swings for it based on Eddie's recommendation. The pin rusted out completely in less than 2 years. It was literally being held together by rust. I emailed Eddie and LOD replaced the bumper - that's great customer service. They said something about the first generation only having one seal and that they fixed the problem.

Anyway, I just went to High Country Performance 4x4 here in Denver and they didn't have a very high opinion of LOD. They mentioned the hinge was inferior since it didn't have a bearing in it and that it would rust out. Has anyone experienced this in the new bumpers? I sold my TJ so I have no way to see how the new bumper did. Is a greasable pin with a rubber bushing in it a bad way to go instead of a axle type bearing?

Do they know what they are talking about or are they just trying to steer me towards the brands they are in bed with? They were pushing the Rock Hard 4x4 system. I really like that system too, but then I read all the problems people are having with it rattling. I HATE rattles and don't want go there. Sorry for the long post.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:35 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BlueBruin
I've been trying to decide what rear bumper to buy. I like the look and price of the LOD Gen2 system.

However, I used to have a TJ and I bought one of the first LOD tire swings for it based on Eddie's recommendation. The pin rusted out completely in less than 2 years. It was literally being held together by rust. I emailed Eddie and LOD replaced the bumper - that's great customer service. They said something about the first generation only having one seal and that they fixed the problem.

Anyway, I just went to High Country Performance 4x4 here in Denver and they didn't have a very high opinion of LOD. They mentioned the hinge was inferior since it didn't have a bearing in it and that it would rust out. Has anyone experienced this in the new bumpers? I sold my TJ so I have no way to see how the new bumper did. Is a greasable pin with a rubber bushing in it a bad way to go instead of a axle type bearing?

Do they know what they are talking about or are they just trying to steer me towards the brands they are in bed with? They were pushing the Rock Hard 4x4 system. I really like that system too, but then I read all the problems people are having with it rattling. I HATE rattles and don't want go there. Sorry for the long post.
I have the LoD but haven't had it on for long so can't speak to the rust from experience. I do know that the tire pivot (calling it a hinge is an injustice) is STOUT so while it could develop some rust if you didn't grease it I can't see it rusting to the point of losing structural integrity. As far as rattles go, mine has zero. None. Nada. Zilch. Just install it correct (tilting slightly back towards the Jeep) and make sure the latch is tight. I think it is a great piece.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

I can't speak from experience, but I would say as long as you keep it greased properly, you shouldn't have a problem with it rusting out. Also, as stated before, it would take years for that pin to rust to the point of failing.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:40 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the LoD rear, and like the guy above, havent had it too long (few months)

the hinge Is incredible!!!! it doesnt have a bearing, looks like maybe a brass bushing, but ill tell you what, I grease mine and it works flawlessly.. (smooth, quiet, easy to swing etc)
And like the guy above, it makes NO NOISE. If I were to do it again, I would order the EXACT same setup.

I say order the LoD from either Northridge4x4 or from LoD directly.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

My hinge is rusting like a MoFo,but it is still strong as ever. I have had mine for over a year and I have no complaints, except for the rust which is impossible to stay away from in Chicago.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think they make a sweet looking bumpers, but I would go with a company that makes one that swings open in one simple motion (like expedition one). To me there is nothing more annoying than have to open two things to get into the back of your jeep (Ive done that for years with my TJ).
Old 08-05-2009, 07:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by northsidejeepin
My hinge is rusting like a MoFo,but it is still strong as ever. I have had mine for over a year and I have no complaints, except for the rust which is impossible to stay away from in Chicago.
Have u talked to lod. It still shouldn't rust.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:13 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by johnnyj33p
I think they make a sweet looking bumpers, but I would go with a company that makes one that swings open in one simple motion (like expedition one). To me there is nothing more annoying than have to open two things to get into the back of your jeep (Ive done that for years with my TJ).
it really isnt a big deal to open both... I open mine daily, its way more of a pain to open the back soft top window.. the swing carrier is like an extra 2 seconds.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:47 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In my opinion they dont like LOD because they dont sell it. It is a greasable pin grease it and you will have zero issues.

I will get you more feedback in a few months as I have ordered a LOD rear Bumper tire carrier for my 4 door.

David

Quick Reply: Lod Gen2 Rear Bumper Tire Swing - Greasable Pin Rust?