Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

LOD Gen 4 Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier Linked Installation Help

Old 02-25-2014, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts
Default LOD Gen 4 Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier Linked Installation Help

Just got my LOD Offroad Gen 4 Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier Linked with backup lights and third brake light kit from Northridge 4x4. I'm gonna install it this weekend. Anyone have any tips or advice on some of the harder parts. I can use a wrench but I'm worried about this installation especially the lighting. Im assuming that most if not all of the LOD rears are pretty much the same installation but was just hoping to read about things to check and watch out for.

Never installed a rear bumper before so I will take any advice you have. I'll post pics after I'm done. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:15 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's pretty straight forward. Just don't be sloppy with the drilling. You'd be surprised how fast things don't line up.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:00 AM
JK Junkie

Actually, I'll note one issue I had. One of the first steps is mounting the latch post. There's a plate with nuts welded to it that goes inside the bumper. I had issues with the bolts not threading into the nuts. Not sure if it was the powder coat or the nuts not being centered. Had to chase the threads and buy a new SS button head screw. Don't force it if it won't go. Stainless steel hardware is soft.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
It's pretty straight forward. Just don't be sloppy with the drilling. You'd be surprised how fast things don't line up.
Ahhh crap. I have not fully looked at the directions but was hoping it would line up with the stock bolts possibly. Ok I better look into this deeper before I get started.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator

Actually, I'll note one issue I had. One of the first steps is mounting the latch post. There's a plate with nuts welded to it that goes inside the bumper. I had issues with the bolts not threading into the nuts. Not sure if it was the powder coat or the nuts not being centered. Had to chase the threads and buy a new SS button head screw. Don't force it if it won't go. Stainless steel hardware is soft.
Thank you. I have all the pieces open in my garage and can see what your talking about.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure your lighting is hooked up correctly and working before you finish the install. If the gen 4 is anything like the 3 the lights are. Easy to get to once installed.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Mello03
Make sure your lighting is hooked up correctly and working before you finish the install. If the gen 4 is anything like the 3 the lights are. Easy to get to once installed.
are you saying the lights are hard to get to or easy? I'm thinking they are very hard to get to once the bumper is put on. I remember reading that once before.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EHarris
are you saying the lights are hard to get to or easy? I'm thinking they are very hard to get to once the bumper is put on. I remember reading that once before.
Der, I meant to say NOT easy to get to once installed.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:59 AM
JK Junkie

One other tip (that I recommend whenever drilling holes). Use a step drill bit. Holes will be round and don't wander.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

One other tip (that I recommend whenever drilling holes). Use a step drill bit. Holes will be round and don't wander.
On my way to purchase one now so I have it for this weekend.

Quick Reply: LOD Gen 4 Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier Linked Installation Help