Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

LOD Full Width Front Bumper Install

Old 07-03-2011, 06:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LOD Full Width Front Bumper Install

As the sun set, I finished tightening the last bolt on the front bumper install. It's a sharp looking bumper. Below are my comments on the install. This may seem like negative rambling, but for all the positive comments and photos of this bumper, I haven't seen any of these comments, so I'm putting them out there as constructive observations.
Before I get on about the new bumper, an important note about removal of the old. #1, don't try and save all the old plastic screw attachments that are holding the skid plate and the top cover on. Just pound a small phillips driver through the and rip them out. Good riddance! Also, removing the skinny top plastic cover right off the bat makes removing the 4 inside bolts a 10 minute project instead of a 1 hour contortionist exercise.
On with the show... after receiving the bumper, (which was packaged fantastically!) I found no instructions or parts list. I called LoD, and they referred me to the JK-forum's install write up for the shorty bumper. A little odd, but props to jk-forum.
The directions held true except for all the bolt sizes, and the detail left out about the fog light wires being too short for the new bumper (I'm still not sure how I'm going to remedy this.) Also, despite the instructions warning, with the full bumper, you can go ahead and install the fog lights while the bumper is removed. You don't need to use the fog light holes as access points. It's much easier this way.
There are also no torque ratings for the bumper to frame bolts. I know there is a correct number, and I know there is a number that will strip them out. I picked 45 and am crossing my fingers.
Lock washers. I expected lock washers in the kit. Everything else I've bolted on has lock-tite, lock washers, or nylon-nuts; what's going to keep this bumper from rattling loose?
Alignment. My bumper is crooked. A quick note to those following. You are able to mount your bumper crooked and askew. I'll be straightening it when I remove the grade 5 bolts and replace with grade 8 with lock washers and loc-tite. :-)

All said and done, I'm pleased. I'll take a pic when the sun comes up.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:09 PM
JK Newbie

Do you have any pics?? I'm looking at this bumper, and am curious to find out how long the install took, how bad it's out of alignment, and how you solve the light wiring issue...
Old 07-13-2011, 12:45 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by fireman9027
Do you have any pics?? I'm looking at this bumper, and am curious to find out how long the install took, how bad it's out of alignment, and how you solve the light wiring issue...
The bumper is aligned left to right on the chassis, and toward and away from the front grill about 1/4 inch in all directions because of the bolt pattern. So if you do it correctly, it turns out symmetrical; I wasn't paying attention and just tightened everything down.

It took me two hours or more to remove the OEM bumper. I first tried to save the plastic screws and tried all different tools to pull them out so I could re-use them. When I gave up and just pounded them out, the process quickened. It was also sped up immensely once I took the top skid plate off so I could reach the inside bolts from above the bumper. Without that, I was really struggling to find a way to reach around the sway bar disconnect mechanism.

The short lighting wires were solved with some shrink wrap and 18G stranded wire. I cut and lengthened the wires. I soldered them instead of a dry splice, and then wrapped them up real good to help seal the water out. I zip tied them in a few places to keep them from falling into harms way.

Quick Reply: LOD Full Width Front Bumper Install