Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

LoD Front and Rear Bumper Observations and a Suggestion

Old 11-12-2007, 02:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder if the problem is that the tolerances on the jeep tubs are the issue? Regardless, I think part of the draw to buying a JK, TJ or whatever is working on it and doing the mods. I think there are a couple things to keep in mind. If you are not mechanically inclined installing bumpers etc is probably not for you. I have worked on many cars, boats, etc. I build and remodel houses for a living. I have been faced with many issues around things not fitting or working as they should. I have found with an open mind and some ability to problem solve, along with the right tools, these issues are usually easily resolved. Though I think that there is no excuse for bad customer service or not returning calls and e-mail(I had my own experience with just getting the bumpers) I find it very interesting to read this board and listen to the complaining. What gets me is when you make a decision to buy the $700.00 product instead of the $1200.00 product then expect the $700.00 product to be the same as the $1200 product. Personally I will put up with dealings with some small issues(for me) and put the $500.00 in my pocket.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by airagain
I wonder if the problem is that the tolerances on the jeep tubs are the issue? Regardless, I think part of the draw to buying a JK, TJ or whatever is working on it and doing the mods. I think there are a couple things to keep in mind. If you are not mechanically inclined installing bumpers etc is probably not for you. I have worked on many cars, boats, etc. I build and remodel houses for a living. I have been faced with many issues around things not fitting or working as they should. I have found with an open mind and some ability to problem solve, along with the right tools, these issues are usually easily resolved. Though I think that there is no excuse for bad customer service or not returning calls and e-mail(I had my own experience with just getting the bumpers) I find it very interesting to read this board and listen to the complaining. What gets me is when you make a decision to buy the $700.00 product instead of the $1200.00 product then expect the $700.00 product to be the same as the $1200 product. Personally I will put up with dealings with some small issues(for me) and put the $500.00 in my pocket.

Well said.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Although I still have my stockers and can't speak from experience, I have been looking at bumpers extensively. From what I have read here, the Lod bumpers have been the only ones with fitment issues. Therefore, I don't think it is due to the JK's tub tolerances. That said, they are still the best value for the money and I am still considering them.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Totally agree with airagain but I just ended up spending the $500 on more mods . Never did make it to my pocket.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:00 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get ready, Christmas is coming, and if you have a young child, you know you'll be faced with several hundred dollars worth of put-togethers that will be missing parts,screws ,washers,nuts,instructions. Hey, I bought my daughter a swing set that was coming from Santa, she was kept away from our house on Christmas eve day. Thinking this would be a 4hr job max, we started at noon and planned on going to see family later that evening. 9hrs later and missing the family function, it was done. Several missing bolts, Pre-drilled holes that would not line up, 3 pages of instructions on some other playset. Lotsa cussin and dropped flashlights that Christmas eve, but it was more than worth it to see my little girl's eyes the next morning. Damn $700.00 playset. Bout the same price as the bumper ,huh? I don't think it's so much the price or the quality as just the way things work out sometimes.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:16 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mrsig
Cool thanks I just payed for the rear bumper yesterday.. How do you like it so far? I have their front one but modified it to my needs and love it.

Good god - the only thing left to COMPLETELY block all cooling air from that radiator grille would be a piece of cardboard! You must live in the Arctic north? Or you really LIKE the fan running all the time . . . and all that excess heat radiating through your firewall?

I'm just jealous. It looks bad. In a good way.

Duane Behrens ("Perzuki")
Old 11-14-2007, 12:27 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnaught6
Looking at the part that hits the body,
I think I have a fix for you without cutting it away.
Get a pair of door strips that you would put on the edge of your door.
The kind that are in a u-shape.
Cut that to size and install on the edge of your bumper.
It should give it a tight fit and not grind away on your paint anymore.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone else with the LOD bumpers having this rubbing problem?
Old 01-13-2008, 11:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

lod bumpers look great anyone with them have a body lift and does this stop the rubbing issue?
Old 01-13-2008, 11:28 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by airagain

The last picture shows the mounting plate for the rear bumper. The two bolts on the left are the factory bolts. The one to the very right is the one you should install first to make alignment and then drill the other two in the middle.

This setup looks great. I like the Superwinch and I have one also. I'm in a bit of a dilema trying to figure out which bumper to order. I have the same Jeep and now I know what it would look like with the LoD bumper. It looks great. I really like the Shrockworks bumper as well, but you have to modify the holes to fit this winch. Did you have any trouble mounting the Superwinch in the LoD? Also, how well does this bumper protect the sway bar disco motor?

Quick Reply: LoD Front and Rear Bumper Observations and a Suggestion