Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

LOD or Or Fab rear bumper / tire carrier

Old 12-12-2011, 07:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would probably install the Or Fab myself if I go that route. From what I understand, it's a real pia and you'd better measure, re-measure, then re-re-measure before drilling. .....decisions!
Old 12-12-2011, 09:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pcmasten
I would probably install the Or Fab myself if I go that route. From what I understand, it's a real pia and you'd better measure, re-measure, then re-re-measure before drilling. .....decisions!

Yup. It's a great carrier but not very friendly in terms of installation. Some photos in the guide are not very clear so it took me a while to understand them to then start measuring (several times) before drilling. However, if you do once the next will be way easier.

If you have a friend with one take a look on how the parts fitted, take the rear lights out and check how the reinforcements fitted in the tube behind them. It will make your install a lot easier.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:43 AM
JK Super Freak

are you coming to the install party at familytimes this weeknd? Me and ken (JKzinger) will be there. He has the LOD and i have the OR-fab. Would give you an opportunity to see them in person if you havnt already.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The biggest guess (I cannot say scariest because the 1 inch hole in the body, though easy, was scary to drill) part on the OrFab install was two inside holes for the driver's side bracket. The OrFab instructions are kinda of vague about the measurements. I understand why, because you have to measure from the bottom of the tub where there is some insulation compound on the tub. Also the instructions say to center the holes within the area you are measuring. Personally those sort of directions worried me. I read on another thread that you should just drill pilot holes with a smaller bit. I did that and put the bracket in place. Then I used a pen to mark through the holes (yes black on black, but the sheen stands out). I was then able to accurately measure how far off each pilot hole was. Then I drilled my main holes. One pilot hole was so far off it did not matter the other was swallowed up by the main hole. After those two holes are drilled everything else lines up. The last two drill holes are aleady lined up to be drilled by the brackets and no measurements are needed.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:07 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jtjk
are you coming to the install party at familytimes this weeknd? Me and ken (JKzinger) will be there. He has the LOD and i have the OR-fab. Would give you an opportunity to see them in person if you havnt already.
I will be there and now have my Rotopax, trail rack and high lift jack mounted on the LoD carrier. You can see it all in action and compare to the OR-Fab.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:10 AM
JK Newbie

I just received my OR-Fab tire /can carrier and will be installing it soon, I looked at both the LOD and the ORF and decided on the ORF, the LOD had my attention for a long time, but it does put the jerry cans up high which are heavy, the ORF puts them at a little better level and if you want to go with the rotopax set up there is an example of how to use the razor bracket to mount them on the forum. I think both have a lot to offer just depends what your comfortable with, the basket and bumper are pluses for the LOD.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone know the differences between a gen 2 and gen 3 LoD bumper?
Old 12-13-2011, 12:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Anyone know the differences between a gen 2 and gen 3 LoD bumper?
Off the top of my head, I think there is more adjustability with the gen 3. That is with the rack and maybe tire set up. Also gen 3 has the option of the linked systems to open the door with the tire carrier and to help stop rattle.

Quick Reply: LOD or Or Fab rear bumper / tire carrier